2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 S10 Fuel Pressure Saga

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 01:12 AM
Brew City is on a distinguished road
Default 95 S10 Fuel Pressure Saga

Two years ago I replaced the fuel tank and everything in it along with supply and return lines up to and including filter on account of rust. So much rust. Due to pressure issues that popped up a few months ago, I replaced the fuel pump, then the spider (which seemed to be leaking into the plenum), then warranty on the spider, then warranty on the fuel pump. I warrantied fuel pump on advice from a mechanic, but it turns out he was wrong because I'm still having an issue.

I just got done testing pressure according to the sticky here:

Fuel pump max pressure: 90psi, then drops quickly to 80. After 10 min it was still at 60. I did have a very small leak from between my brass fittings which I think accounts for a lot of the drop. I tightened it up and it stayed at 60. It passes the criteria in the sticky, so I didn't test further.

Regulated pressure: Goes to 53, then immediately to 51, then fairly quickly to 49, then down to 40 after 10 minutes.

It seems to me the fuel pump is working just fine (good thing I do my own work and didn't pay the mechanic $825 to replace the filter and sending unit). Am I looking at yet another failure of a reman spider? Is there anything to be done other than replacing it? I've heard bad things about remans, mostly here I think, but I made the mistake of not thinking I could get a new one because none of my usual suppliers offered one. I did some looking today and found a company selling a handful of new, OEM Delphi spiders. Do I try to return the 2x junk reman and get the new one?

Opinions?

Thanks for your time.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:57 AM
Brew City is on a distinguished road

I decided to go with the new, OEM Delphi spider. I received it today and replaced it tonight. What followed is a real pain:

1) Fuel pressure problem seemed to be fixed. I was quite happy and ready to fire it up.

2) When I tried to start it up, it wouldn't start. I cranked and cranked, touched the gas a little, then tried again. Once, right when I started cranking there was a little pop and it completely lost power. Now headlights, no nothing. I went out and messed with the battery and voila power again.

3) I didn't want to take the plenum back off, so I started checking to see if I messed anything up while putting it back together. Long story short, I found no spark out of coil and found that the wire harness came off the underside of the coil I replaced that and started to hope.

4) I tried to start again and it finally started. Yes!

5) Unfortunately, it runs really rough and popped a P0300 code. No!

6) I took the plenum off and there was a bunch of gas in there. Pressure holds and I don't see any leaks, so I'm not sure where it came from. Double checked my work, found nothing apparently wrong, and put it back together.

7) Rough running and P0300 remains and I'm stumped.

I'm down to a handful of guesses:

A) Could excessive cranking and touching the gas have caused fuel in the plenum, or am I looking at some kind of leak from the new spider? If it's leaking that bad I understand why it's running poorly.

B) Could I have somehow caused damage to my ignition system, particularly with the pop and loss of power? ICM perhaps?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. This whole issue has become a nightmare for me. I'm wondering if I end up putting the old spider back in. It had problems holding pressure, but if it went back to how it was running prior to installing the Delphi spider it would tell me something.

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:00 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

What do you mean “mess with the battery”? What is the system resting voltage and what is it when the truck is running?

What are the fuel pressure test result values at the fuel rail now?

Do you have 1” of strong blue spark?

Are the misfires all random (P300) or are there any specific cylinders (P30X)?

Any other codes?

What is your CMP retard value?

What are the 4 fuel trim values?

George