2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer 4X4 Front Axle Actuator Plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Beginning Member
Cassera is on a distinguished road
Default 96 Blazer 4X4 Front Axle Actuator Plug

Let me start off by saying my 4WD doesn't work. This is due to me getting into an accident. I brought my car to the shop because my battery kept dying after the accident. They came to the conclusion that there was "a short in a switch that plugs into the front axle to engage it". The shop kept playing games with me so I took my vehicle back from them. They got as far as unplugging the switch so this way my battery doesn't keep getting drained from the short in that switch. Now my 4X4 does not work. Now the switch hangs freely on the bottom of my car. I looked under the car today and seen that the switch is supposed to plug into the Actuator Plug. I do not know where the other end of this switch leads to. I followed the wire back up into the engine bay but could not really tell where it went. My question is what is this wire called and where does it go? I want to replace the wire and I also want to replace the Actuator plug. I think the reason it shorted was because when I got into the accident, I cracked my oil pan. I got it fixed but ever since then I always leak a bit of oil from my oil pan and the oil goes right onto that actuator plug and on the switch also.

I plan on getting my oil pan resealed before I fix the actuator.
If you guys need a picture I can provide you with some in the morning.

Last edited by Cassera; 07-13-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The front axle actuator is under the battery tray and has one vacuum line attached to it, no electrical connectors. There ia a cable that runs from the actuator to the right front axle tube. This cable operates a clutch inside the right axle tube that engages the right front axle with the differential.

The axle engagement switch threads into the right front axle tube near the actuator cable and tells the TCCM, (Transfer Case Control Module) if the axle is engaged with the differential when 4WD is selected. If this switch is "shorted", it will not cause the battery to drain. It only has voltage when the ignition is in the RUN position.

Pictures would be helpful.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member

The actuator that is under the battery tray, follow that down to the other end of it (the part that plugs into something im guessing is an actuator also?) And at the end if it, it has a port where a wire can plug into. The wire that is supposed to plug into it is currently disconnected. I hope this explains a bit better. If not i will be sure to post pictures tomorrow!!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

That is the axle engagement switch and it has two wires in the connector. All it does is tell the TCCM when the front axle is engaged. Even if the switch is closed, (shorted) all the time, it will not drain the battery.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
That is the axle engagement switch and it has two wires in the connector. All it does is tell the TCCM when the front axle is engaged. Even if the switch is closed, (shorted) all the time, it will not drain the battery.
Ohh okay...well im pretty sure something is shorted down there seeing as everything down there is soaked with oil ....maybe the port on the actuator plug where that switch plugs into seeing as oil is probably just sitting in there. If something in therewas shorted then would that maybe drain excessive power from the battery? Or is that switch unplugged for no reason?
If so then i guess i will plug it back in and see if my car dies and if my 4X4 works.

This is a picture i got off of google...im almost positive its the orangeish looking plug. On my vehicle that is the one that is unpluged
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ics/Pic-02.jpg
I will still post pictures in the morning of my vehicle to show you just in case you see something.

Last edited by Cassera; 07-13-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Beginning Member

Attached are the pictures from my vehicle...you can see the orange plug and the oil soaked port it is supposed to plug in to

Attached Thumbnails 96 Blazer 4X4 Front Axle Actuator Plug-2012-07-14_11-28-14_919.jpg   96 Blazer 4X4 Front Axle Actuator Plug-2012-07-14_11-28-26_135.jpg   96 Blazer 4X4 Front Axle Actuator Plug-mail.google.com.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 AM

The only thing the switch does is connect the two wires together when the vehicle is in 4WD. It shorts the two wires together, that's what it's supposed to do. What I'm saying is that the switch is NOT the reason the battery goes dead.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The only thing the switch does is connect the two wires together when the vehicle is in 4WD. It shorts the two wires together, that's what it's supposed to do. What I'm saying is that the switch is NOT the reason the battery goes dead.
The battery used to go dead, now it doesn't and the only work that was done to my car was that one switch being unplugged.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't change the fact that what Chuck stated is entirely true. The switch is NOT the source of your problem. I would venture a guess that you have a problem with the wiring itself.

But hey, if you're fine with just leaving that unplugged, have at it.