2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 blazer running poor

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Beginning Member
chevycrazy2011 is on a distinguished road
Default 96 blazer running poor

i just rebuilt my motor and trying to get it running now.. i put the crank into time with #1 piston tdc and distribator pointer between 2 and 5 at the post in the cap.. my question is can the cam be out of time causing it not to run on all cylinders cause it back fires and hardly runs or what else can cause this something not pluged in right.. any help will be great thanks

Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you tear it down to the point of replacing the timing set? If so, did you make sure that the cam was properly timed to the crank by aligning the dots on the crank & cam gears?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member

ok i adjusted the cam dot to the dot that was on the balancer right above it to meet when they turned and crank dot was staight up is that right or did i do it wronge?

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Did you tear it down to the point of replacing the timing set? If so, did you make sure that the cam was properly timed to the crank by aligning the dots on the crank & cam gears?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Provided the dots lined up on the crank and cam gears, even after a rotation, they should be properly timed to each other.

How did you set the distributor in place? Did you follow the directions found in the EDI Engine Timing thread located in the Tech Article (DIY) Index link in my sig below?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Beginning Member

Provided the dots lined up on the crank and cam gears, even after a rotation, they should be properly timed to each other.

How did you set the distributor in place? Did you follow the directions found in the EDI Engine Timing thread located in the Tech Article (DIY) Index link in my sig below?
so ? was i supost to line the cam dot and the crank dot to each other? cause that's not what i did i lined cam dot to balancer thing and put crank dot point up.. yeah pretty much did what it says on there # 1 piston compress stroke point distrib between 2 and 5 at the poll there cause that where cap said # 1 sparks at.. motor acts like it not firing on all cylinders and valves are open when firing

Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Administrator

You need to put the #1 piston on the compression stroke and then align the two marks on the balancer. From there, you drop the distributor down in with the rotor pointing at the '6' in the base of the distributor.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member

You need to put the #1 piston on the compression stroke and then align the two marks on the balancer. From there, you drop the distributor down in with the rotor pointing at the '6' in the base of the distributor.

ok. from what i learned from my dad is too point it whre # 1 spark plug fires.. is blazer diffrent and that why you point it at the 6 in the cap? cause that confuses me lol

Old 02-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Administrator

You have to follow the EDI Engine Timing thread. With electronically controlled timing, the PCM needs to have the distributor installed in a specific manner.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Beginning Member

[quote=swartlkk;409830]You have to follow the EDI Engine Timing thread. With electronically controlled timing, the PCM needs to have the distributor installed in a specific manner.[/quot

okies so point at the number 6 on the distrib cap and not the #6 spark plug wire correct?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Follow the directions in this post and it should become clear:
EDI Engine Timing

Also worth noting... There are two contacts between 2 and 5. The pointer in the base of the distributor does actually align with the contact for the #1 plug wire which is located on the opposite side of the distributor cap from the terminal the #1 plug wire connects to. I have updated the wire order view to show traces from the wire terminals to their corresponding contacts inside the distributor:

Quick Reply: 96 blazer running poor