2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer stalls at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 PM
duc dowg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 Blazer stalls at idle

My Blazer is acting up. When I try to start the Blazer I have to pump the gas as I am starting it. Then when I slow down for a stop sign or something it stalls. It also idles rough. When I get up to speed it runs fine. It has 163000 miles. I have changed the plugs and wires. Any ideas?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Default RE: 96 Blazer stalls at idle

It has the Vortec. could it be the idle air sensor? Or maybe the EGR?

Old 05-09-2008, 04:11 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

When was your last fuel filter change.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:52 PM

In December 2007. Along with a fuel pump.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Duc,

Try clicking on the Search link, as starting problems have been addressed many times on the forum. The most common starting problems on our trucks seem to be the fuel pump, but if you troubleshoot by eliminating things one by one, you should be able to isolate it and not have to spend too much money fixing it.

You need fuel, spark and air to keep the engine running. Since you checked the spark plugs and wires, you should also check the distributor, fuel filter and pump, ignition, and battery. Thing is, most spark problems trigger the Service Engine Soon light to come on, so if it's not on, I'd doubt it's the wires, plugs, or distributor. I would check the battery voltage, and the fuel pressure next. I doubt it's the starter, because the truck was already running when it choked out. Also make sure your air duct isn't leaking. There's one particular hose in the back that if it comes off, it causes the 4.3 to stall out (happened to me once). However, I'm leaning toward the fuel filter or pump, especially because your mileage is right about where mine is now. Mine's also a '96. There are threads that tell you how to check the fuel pressure.

Good luck and welcome to the Blazer Forum!

EDIT - since we were typing the same time...

If your fuel pump was just changed five months ago, then that's the first thing you should check. Hopefully it was a genuine AC Delco, because a lot of people here have had problems with aftermarket pumps. There's also a possibility that it was bad right out the box. You may have to take it off and look at it again. If it's under warranty, replace it. That's what I would do.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks! It shows no codes. The fuel pressure is at 55. thats good right? I can be going down the road and it runs fine while im in the gas but when I slow down for a stop sign or red light sometimes it cuts off.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:13 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Try cleaning the EGR, MAF, and IAC. The how-to's are in the threads.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:43 PM

MAF ?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

M*** Air Flow sensor.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:43 PM

Gotch ya! Thanks!

Quick Reply: 96 Blazer stalls at idle