2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer Stalls no power

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Beginning Member
86sleeper is an unknown quantity at this point

By any chance when you are driving and you start pushing it harder do you hear an type of crackling noise coming from the bottom of the truck, get under the truck aswell with a rubber mallet or even your hand bang on the converter body it self and see if you hear something loose in the converter.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Beginning Member
BearandJamie is on a distinguished road

I will do that. I thought I had it fixed but the symptoms have returned. I replaced the intake gasket set after finding that it was leaking around the injector area. But 5 days later its back

Old 11-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Beginning Member
86sleeper is an unknown quantity at this point

best of luck brother

Old 11-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member

problem identified: vacuum leak around the injector pod. problem is that the pod is not secure in the bracket thats suppose to hold it. So high vacuum is pulling it into the intake causing all of these problems. Is there any way to fix it?

Old 11-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The metering block snaps into the bracket. The bracket has a slot where the mounting screw goes through and into the lower intake. The slot allows the bracket and metering block to move so it will align with the upper plenum. If it's leaking vacuum, the metering block is not fully seated upward into the plenum. Did you oil the O ring before installing the plenum?

Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-03-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Starting Member
Youngblood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BearandJamie
Alright guys and gals. I have a 96 Blazer LS, 4 door, 4X4, manual shift transfer case, 4 wheel discs. Bla Bla Bla...... Anywho. It stalls out when you try to take off on a hill. This is according to my wife. In the driveway it revs very smoothly when you barely press the throttle, but at wide open throttle it studders above 3000 rpms. In may I replaced the fuel pressure regulator because the truck seemed to flood at Idle and would smooth out once you got it going. She also complains that when going down the road it will barely climb hills and has no passing power. I have only driven it a few times but I know there IS a problem, but what it is I'm not sure of. I have also changed plugs, wires, cap, and rotor button. I only have two codes which are both system too Rich bank one and two. I ordered an OBII to Bluetooth adapter in hopes of logging computer data to see whats going on. Suggestions
Hey man you also need to check you vacuum lines if mine was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a bad vacuum leak.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah I oiled the o ring as well as the plenum before the install. I was thinking that the bracket may be loose and it came uncapped. I have already checked all the vacuum lines. When I got the truck the guy says ohhh yeah 4X4 works great. Bull crap. The indicator never came on I knew better so at that time I had to trace all the vacuum lines. We bought this last December and the guy said runs great drives great. 1500 dollars later we were able to get it inspected. I just wanna go to that liars house and get my moneys worth outta him. If we hadn't needed a vehicle for my wife to drive and specifically a four wheel drive SUV. Then I'd have bought something else. Needless to say im in the process of a frame on restoration. Grrrrrr

Old 03-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Beginning Member

alright it's been a while since I have had a chance to work on this because of the weather (no garage) So Here's where I am. This thing is flooding something awful. The cat isnt even heating up because were getting raw fuel to the tail pipe. There's no fuel in the oil, I have however had it changed. I changed the plugs wires cap and button when we bought it. I replaced the spider a month ago and still the same thing. It looks like the spider has dropped down some, so it must be leaking air there. Are there different brackets? Just a thought. Even when assembled it doesnt look like it goes all the way up. Also, I tested the fuel pressure today and here's what I found:

-Initial connection shows no pressure after 2 hours of sitting
-Key on brings it to 60 psi
-Pressure drops to 10 psi within 15 seconds of the pump shutting off (Bad I know)
-Cranking brings it back to 60 psi
-Idling brings the pressure to 72 ( Which looks like a cylinder out on a top fuel dragster)

I believe gm's have a check valve in the tank so I'm going to have to pull the top back off again and check for leaks. Thoughts about the spider not sealing properly? I don't think Idle pressure should be 70 psi.

Thoughts theories and ideal's welcome.

Don't suggest dynamite, I'm mad enough at it, I don't need temptation. LOL

Attached Thumbnails 96 Blazer Stalls no power-nuclear-explosion.jpg  

Last edited by BearandJamie; 03-10-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If you're seeing fuel at the tail pipe, it's in the oil too, guaranteed. Idle fuel pressure at 70psi is the reason! We need to figure why it's so high.

This thread explains how to test fuel delivery. Do the tests and post all 4 numbers. https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/

The results will tell us where to find the problem.