Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   96 Blazer weird starter questions? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/96-blazer-weird-starter-questions-42234/)

dfehrman 03-15-2010 04:29 PM

96 Blazer weird starter questions?

I have a 96 Blazer, 4.3L, 6 cyl., 219,000 miles that I had a new starter replaced approximately 2 months ago by a local shop.
2 weeks ago I drove it on Saturday with no problems and on Sunday it would not start. When I tried to start the vehicle at certain times it would make a grinding noise. I didn't try to start it again and had it towed to the shop. They have told me that the starter they put in is bad and that the nose piece on the starter came apart from the starter. They have also told me that the crank shaft seems to have some play in it and they are trying to get non-magnetic pieces out of the transmision without dropping the transmission.
I guess my questions would be - Could pieces of the starter nose piece end up in the transmision?
And also could the bad starter, even though it turned the engine cause it not to start?
I'm no pro and looking for a little advise if you have the time.
They did say that the starter is under warranty and this time they are replacing it with an AC Delco starter at no charge.
Thanks for your time and help,
Doug

Schrade 03-15-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by dfehrman (Post 312351)
I have a 96 Blazer, 4.3L, 6 cyl., 219,000 miles that I had a new starter replaced approximately 2 months ago by a local shop.
2 weeks ago I drove it on Saturday with no problems and on Sunday it would not start. When I tried to start the vehicle at certain times it would make a grinding noise. I didn't try to start it again and had it towed to the shop. They have told me that the starter they put in is bad and that the nose piece on the starter came apart from the starter. They have also told me that the crank shaft seems to have some play in it and they are trying to get non-magnetic pieces out of the transmision without dropping the transmission.
I guess my questions would be - Could pieces of the starter nose piece end up in the transmision? No. Bellhousing yes, but inconsequential.
And also could the bad starter, even though it turned the engine cause it not to start? No.
I'm no pro and looking for a little advise if you have the time.
They did say that the starter is under warranty and this time they are replacing it with an AC Delco starter at no charge.
Thanks for your time and help,
Doug

Answer red/bold .

Ryanmatt135 03-15-2010 05:34 PM

I guess my questions would be - Could pieces of the starter nose piece end up in the transmision?

NO

And also could the bad starter, even though it turned the engine cause it not to start?

yes

good deal