2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer weird starter questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
dfehrman is on a distinguished road
Default 96 Blazer weird starter questions?

I have a 96 Blazer, 4.3L, 6 cyl., 219,000 miles that I had a new starter replaced approximately 2 months ago by a local shop.
2 weeks ago I drove it on Saturday with no problems and on Sunday it would not start. When I tried to start the vehicle at certain times it would make a grinding noise. I didn't try to start it again and had it towed to the shop. They have told me that the starter they put in is bad and that the nose piece on the starter came apart from the starter. They have also told me that the crank shaft seems to have some play in it and they are trying to get non-magnetic pieces out of the transmision without dropping the transmission.
I guess my questions would be - Could pieces of the starter nose piece end up in the transmision?
And also could the bad starter, even though it turned the engine cause it not to start?
I'm no pro and looking for a little advise if you have the time.
They did say that the starter is under warranty and this time they are replacing it with an AC Delco starter at no charge.
Thanks for your time and help,
Doug

Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Starting Member
Schrade is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dfehrman
I have a 96 Blazer, 4.3L, 6 cyl., 219,000 miles that I had a new starter replaced approximately 2 months ago by a local shop.
2 weeks ago I drove it on Saturday with no problems and on Sunday it would not start. When I tried to start the vehicle at certain times it would make a grinding noise. I didn't try to start it again and had it towed to the shop. They have told me that the starter they put in is bad and that the nose piece on the starter came apart from the starter. They have also told me that the crank shaft seems to have some play in it and they are trying to get non-magnetic pieces out of the transmision without dropping the transmission.
I guess my questions would be - Could pieces of the starter nose piece end up in the transmision? No. Bellhousing yes, but inconsequential.
And also could the bad starter, even though it turned the engine cause it not to start? No.
I'm no pro and looking for a little advise if you have the time.
They did say that the starter is under warranty and this time they are replacing it with an AC Delco starter at no charge.
Thanks for your time and help,
Doug
Answer red/bold .

Old 03-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess my questions would be - Could pieces of the starter nose piece end up in the transmision?

NO

And also could the bad starter, even though it turned the engine cause it not to start?

yes

good deal