2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 blazer wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 AM
bad2bone2212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 blazer wont start

Well my 96 blazer wont start
i bough it wrecked (from the front a little not too much damage and it spent like a year just sitting there then i decided to fix it so i did, brand new paint, new parts ok it looks really nice now but it just wont start
it cranks fine but it wont turn on when i put carb chocke on the carb it like starts really fast but dies out and wont stay on. well it wont even start, it cranks like its about to start and then dies out.
what could be my problem? i recently changed the spark plugs and connected all grounds to the sides of the fenders. could it be another fuel pump problem?
o yeah. since it was sitting there for a long time it somehow got infested by rats and they bit up a cable or two inside the dash but not too many. could it be an electrical problem perhaps? please help, as me and my mechanic havent been able to figure out what it is. thank you
o yeah. can someone take a picture of their 96 v6 blazer's engine and post it on here so that i can see if we put everything where it should?(just want to make sure.) thank you so much for yalls help

Old 10-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Default RE: 96 blazer wont start

o yeah
its a 1996 chevy blazer sport v6
2 doors srry for leaving that out if it were to be of any help

Old 10-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech* - this is a bit more than engine/tranny related. You'll probably get more info in the 2nd gen tech section.

On the wires, I would start there, splice in enough wire to be able to remove the damaged sections of wiring. Reconnect ALL wires before moving on. It is very likely that these wires could control various things that may affect your ability to start the engine.

From the sounds of it, you aren't getting fuel. Have you tested the fuel pressure at the fuel pressure test port located behind the throttle body, slightly towards the driver's side of the intake manifold? You should have a key on fuel pressure of 55-60psi. If you do not have fuel pressure at the port, then you should first check the fuel pump fuse (located in the fuse box on the driver's end of the dash), the ECM B fuse (also in the fuse box) and the fuel pump relay (located on the firewall above the passenger side valve cover). However, I do not know off the top of my head which of the 3 is the fuel pump relay...

Hope this helps!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 AM

yea i checked for fuel pressure.
it sprays out gas when i push the thing but im not sure how much pressure there is in there
so i guess id have to check that.
i have already checked the cables.
thecouple that were bitten off were like minor ones
for example in the trunk
and there wasnt many in the dash and the ones that were there i fixed.
one thing my mechanic did mention is that when he put in the code reader it had a code for the transmission
and for something else
but wouldnt it still start even if the transmisson was bad>?
i am going to check for fuel pressure and fuel filter this afternoon.
o yeah and the fuses and relays.
any ideas on what else it could be?
i shall go checkout 2nd gen tech.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:31 PM

ok so today i changed the fuel filter and it was definately dirty
i emptied out the gas left in it and it was like a blackish color.i put in the new one and tried to crank it again but it just did the same
the next thing ima try is perhaps changing or at least checking those relays cuz i found those.
one more thing
how can i check the gas pressure and when i do check it
how do i increase it/decrease it?
im not a mechanic im more of a body man.
thanx for the help again

Old 10-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to get a fuel pressure test gauge and connect it to the test port behind the throttle body on the fuel supply line.

There really is no way to increase the fuel pressure without putting in a different fuel pressure regulator of a higher pressure value. But that is providing that the pump can supply the required pressure, which is most often the case.

If you are getting fuel out of the test port, then you have power to the pump.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:01 PM

ah i see
ok then i guess my pump is working
and the pressure is ok.i think.
well when i push it it sprays gas like right out
but it only does it when ive tried to crank the truck

so i guess there the fuses n relays left to check
grrrrr if its not that then i wonder what it could be....?
sigh