2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 blazer wont start after doing intake gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Beginning Member
dylan71 is on a distinguished road
Angry 96 blazer wont start after doing intake gasket

hi i just changed my intake gaskets on my 96 blazer now when i try to start it it turns over and it gets a spark. it also has pressure in the fuel lines so its getting gas. but the thing wont fire up. any help is much needed. thanks

Last edited by dylan71; 09-15-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

To check to see if it's getting fire, grab an extra spark plug and plug a wire onto it... ground the base to the engine block and have a friend try and start the engine.
Sure sounds to me like you may have left something undone or incorrect... be sure and check the electrical plugs at the coil and distributor. Don't forget to check fuses.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Beginning Member

ya its getting a spark and its getting fuel but it still wont fire up. the firing order is correct end everything

Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Beginning Member
Default screwed up timing, fixed it now wont start

i have a 1996 blazer. changed the intake gaskets and screwed the timeing up in the process. i fixed that but now it wont start. changed everything possible. if you think about it i changed it. distributor, ignition coil, and lots more. now it turns over i checked and it has fuel pressure, also strong spark but will not fire up. sounds like its trying but wont go. any help much appreciated. i also checked out other forums and could not find any one who changed everyhting i did and did not get it fixed. thanks

Old 11-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How have you verified that the timing is correct? Sure sounds like it is not correct... Why did you replace all of those components?

Merging back in with your original thread on the topic...

Old 11-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Beginning Member

every part that was replaced was either not working or working improperly and did not have much life left in it. when you do the timeing where dose the distributor have to point? i have heard alot. when its on top dead center dose it have to point to 1? probley not becaus eit dont work, neither dose 6 and 2. i think i have it right through.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Beginning Member
gchambers3 is on a distinguished road

Timing is annoying, if you do not have a timing light it comes down getting TDC on 1st cylinder and usually setting your rotor facing 1st on your firing order (mine, the 85 2.8L 1st on the distributor cap is my 1st cylinder, passenger side right)

Get that cylinder (whichever fires first) and put it to "ITS" top dead center...

That's the basic way to do it, but then again I have had no luck doing that and am paying $50 for a mobile mechanic to come out w/ a light and time my car while I drink a beer and watch.

First experience taking out a distributor and never expected it to... be so sensitive to my timing...

Good luck to you- do you have the haynes/chilton book?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How are you determining if the cylinder is TDC #1 on compression? It needs to be on the compression stroke or it will be 180* off. I think it sounds like you are 180* off.

As far as the timing procedure goes:
EDI Engine Timing

Old 11-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Beginning Member

i have been turning it over and i get my buddy in the front with #1 spark plug out waiting for it to hit compression and with a screwdriver see when its at top and line up the other lines on the balancer. i will try again

Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Starting Member
joe kennedy is on a distinguished road

i am haveing this same thing. and it is driveing me nuts.

Quick Reply: 96 blazer wont start after doing intake gasket