2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Beginning Member
hemivette is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer Ignition

I just bought a 97 Blazer and had a remote starter installed. After a couple of weeks, it started acting up, and wouldn't start with the key. so I took it back and had them put a new remote starter. this one lasted about two weeks also. Now I am on my third one, and things are only getting worse, not only does it not start with the key 90% of the time (10% of the it does) but now it has started shuting off while I am driving it, and I have to use the remote to get the dash lights to come back on so I can start it. The alarm company says the problem is with the ignition, and said I must have blown a fuse. Does any one have any Ideas?

Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, since the problem was corrected twice by replacing the remote starter (likely the bypass module rather than the actual RS box), I would say that the problem is with the aftermarket components and/or shoddy installation of said components. Ignition switch problems do not correct themselves.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member
hemivette is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer Ignition

Ok, I had my fourth remote starter installed today (this time a highly recomended, and very exspensive model) and I am still having the same problem, the truck will only start with the remote. When I stick my key in and turn it on, I get no dash lights and it wont start, no matter how many times you turn it over. Then when you push the start button on the remote, the dash lights come on and it starts right up, but it will only run for the length of time the auto start is programed for, then it dies. I was at car toys when they took the old one off, and the installer said it was installed properly. The ignition wires were not cut, and all the connections where solderd. He didn't have a clue what could be wrong with it either. Obviously the RS module, is working as my ignition switch. So is it the ignition switch? Are there any kind of fuses, that could have blown? Up until about two weeks ago it would occasionally start with a key, but now the only thing the key does is unlock the steering wheel. If anyone has any Ideas, I would sure appreciate hearing them. "I would really like to drive the thing for more than fifteen minutes at a time".

Old 02-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

it definitely sounds like an ignition switch issue, the part that really sold me was that it used to work SOMETIMES, which tells me that it was intermident, and the fact that the truck starts by the remote tells me that all the wiring is good on the truck side and up to the RS module/connections. their about $100 new which is a little steep but worth it if your truck runs for more than 15 minutes right?!

also check out this link..........

https://blazerforum.com/forum/article-submissions-discussions-47/anatomy-ignition-switch-33465/

(from swartlkk)

Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Merged both your threads together for continuity and moved them into the 2nd Gen Tech section*

I just wanted to make sure that everything else checked out before you went and dropped the money on an ignition switch install. It does sound like they checked over everything and the next plausible cause is a faulty ignition switch. The article that Ryan linked to above will show you the wiring involved for the 98+ and should give you an indication of where to check for voltage in all of the key positions. I have attached the '97 specific diagrams below:

Attached Thumbnails 97 Blazer Ignition-97_pwr_dist_1of4.gif   97 Blazer Ignition-97_pwr_dist_2of4.gif   97 Blazer Ignition-97_pwr_dist_3of4.gif   97 Blazer Ignition-97_pwr_dist_4of4.gif