2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 blazer no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:39 PM
magtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 blazer no start

'97 blazer ls, 4.3 vortec, 4L60E, 4wd

the only information that i can give is that intake manifold gaskets were just replaced and it appears the distributor is off by a tooth or two. it started and ran alright before the operation.

i managed to get it started to drive it home and the engine was misfiring, lacked power and would stumble under heavy load (never stalled, though). it's getting spark, gas and air. half a tank of fresh gas, plugs are good, wires are connected per the diagram on autozone's website, reasonably new cap and rotor, brand new battery with a good charge.

here's a video of it in action (sorry about the lawn mower noise in the background):
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...t=MVI_1555.flv

i know that the main problem is the distributor not being in right, but i'm not so familiar with the 4.3 vortec. can anyone help me out?

Old 08-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 97 blazer no start

I just replaced my intake manifold gaskets last weekend. It took me 8 tries before I got the distributor back in the right spot. You need to get the engine aligned to top dead center (crank the crankshaft pullet bolt to align the timing mark on the balancer pulley with the engine block timing mark indicator. This is a lot easier to see if the fan is not installed, and it's a lot easier to move the cranshaft if the car is in nuetral and the serpentine belt is taken off), then slide the distributor back into the hole with the rotor pointing between plug posts 1 and 6 (roughly 7 o'clock, or roughly opposite the electrical connector on the back of the distributor). Here's the tricky part (not really), but post 1 is next to post 6 (trace the wire connection to the actual post under the cap, you'll see what I mean). The distributor actually only mates to the oil pump shaft one of two ways, either correctly or 180 degrees off. There is a cross bar on the end of the distributor shaft that slides onto the oil pump shaft.

I can't believe though that you actually got it started if the distributor is that far off, which means it probably a'int that far off. Try loosening the hold down bolt on the distributor and rotating it left and right (slowly) to see if you can get the timing aligned better, then tighten the bolt down in the best position. You'll need a short 10 mm wrench to sneak in there or an offset handled 10 mm distributor wrench. I used a stubby 10 mm and got my hand down in there. Good Luck.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

I just watched your video. Yeah, your timing is off. When it's aligned right, she'll fire right back up with no hesitation. Just be patient.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have posted the procedure for retiming the distributor. You could attempt to adjust it one tooth one way or the other, or just go through the whole procedure.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:22 PM

junkmonkey:
thanks for the information.

dad was working on it while i was at work this afternoon, i think it's actually worse now than when i managed to get it started. before i had to lay on the starter for about a minute before it'd fire well enough to start, now it won't start at all.

swartlkk:
i've searched the forums, but can't find the thread where you posted the procedure.

edit:
this thread applies to my '97? https://blazerforum.com/m_78968/tm.htm

Old 08-28-2007, 06:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that's the one.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:59 PM

fixed. thanks for the help.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Great, so I take it the timing was the only issue!?

Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 AM

the timing appears to have been the only issue. it starts fine, sounds good and revs good now. haven't taken a test drive yet, it's parked in.

i was forced to drive it 200 miles with the timing off (don't ask, it's a long story that totally pisses me off), hopefully nothing was damaged. it's probably going to be getting an oil change ASAP, it smelled like it was running pretty rich.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 AM
aspenpup is an unknown quantity at this point

Run rich? Hope the catalytic converter did not get damaged. I have a Suburban and had misfires that ended up destroying my catalytic converter(s). Ouch

Old 08-29-2007, 12:24 PM

the cat is already shot, it rattles when the engine is revved. it's only a matter of time before it fails completely.

i'll be driving the truck to work this afternoon. wish me luck.

Quick Reply: 97 blazer no start