2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 blazer stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:45 PM
skoot61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 blazer stalling

I've had the Blazer stall out 2 times while driving..no warning, hesitation or indication it was going to happen..the engine just stops and dash lights illuminate. Another 2 times not starting after stoppingfrom 15 mile trips.It seems it doesn't want to re-start at all when at operating temperatures.However, after sitting till engine cools down it fires up like normal. I'vedone a full tune up in February then I also replaced the gas tank, fuel pump/sending unit, fuel feed & return lines and a fuel filter just 8 weeks ago. I've just had it all looked over again by an auto mechanic shop and they have found nothing unusualor apparent. The blazer has been driven about 800 miles without any problems since that work has been done and runs GREAT when it runs. I was thinking it might be a failing ICM but need more details on it's function.... I just can't seem to figure out what it is thats causing it to stall so intermittently. Any and all reply's greatly appreciated. Skoot61

Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 blazer stalling

I would describethe ICM as energizing the coil, which controls the spark. Your symptom sounds like a bad ICM. Have AutoZone test it 10-12 times in a row to get it hot and see if it works or fails. Yes, it's heat sensitive. That's why it needs to get hot when it's being tested.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:06 AM

Thanks for your input.. I have removed the ICM from the Blazer and will have it tested at Advance Auto Parts and I'llpost my results tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:21 PM

I had to go to 2 Adanced Auto stores to get someone to even have a clue how to use the test machine.. Even then I had to correct the tech which diagram he was wiring to.. Anyway, after a few try's the ICM is coming up with faulty readings.. That was enough for me to feel confident to invest $132.50 for a new AC DelcoICM. RockAuto had the same one for $98.00 + $10.00 shipping but I didn't have the time to wait as the Blazer is still 2 towns away from me in someones parking lot.. So I drive over with the new one, install it and BAM! itfires right up on the first try. Things arelooking promising with the new ICM, but it always seemed to start up cold... It won't be till later todaywhen I can get someone to drive me back to the Blazerto bring ithome putting some time and miles on it. I will follow up with a repost of the final results after some test driving.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Well, It's back to the drawing board on this problem again. I drove the Blazer for approx 15 miles and it stalled out while turning onto my street. I have searched the forum and saw several past posts inquiring about this same problem. Unfortunately, no one has ever posted any followups indicating what was done to resolve it that I could see. So, I am wide open for anyone to respond with any ideas of what or possibilities it could be to cause this. I appreciate all intrests.. Thanks! Skoot61

Old 06-27-2008, 07:04 PM
00blazerLS is an unknown quantity at this point

im having the same issue as you. posted and had 80 hits with only one person who responded. even sent personal messages to a couple people on the forum who seem to know what they are talking about... no reply :-( was waiting for you to repost becasue if replacing the icm worked i was going to buy one in a heart beat which sucks because your blazer still stalled.what sucks for me is that it starts up just fine and idles like normal but then like yours it just dies at what seems like only at operating temperatures and there is no warning. in all the many hours spent online reading posts and other web sites the only other things i have found that could be the problem and keep in mind im no mechanic would be the MAP sensor ( pcm uses map sensor to control fuel delivery and ignition timing) and the other would be a faulty ignition switch. hope someone solves our problems soon :-)

Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Stalling out can be caused by a number of things. What are the circumstances of the stall? Does it do it while you are braking? Foot on or off the gas? Does having your foot on the gas help the situation?

00blazer, I'll respond in your thread on your specific problem. With the current website problems, myself and many other members have been having trouble responding to threads. Please do not take that as a need to PM people about your problems. PMs are not for tech help, that is what the forums are for. Private messaging someone asking for help can be seen as nagging and is inappropriate. Not to mention that if things are suggested through PM, other members do not benefit from said suggestions.

skoot, please edit your post to add more information if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive posting is considered to be another form of double posting and is to be avoided. Rest assured that people will respond when they can!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:18 PM

The last stall out happened today while turning a corner going about 20 mph...the other time wasdriving straight ahead about 30mph... no chance to givethe enginegas as it just quits suddenly. Trying to restart immediatly after stalling while it's still rolling to a stop does not work or anytime while engine is at or near operating temperatures.. What are some of the possibilites to troubleshoot that might cause this type of failure? Thanks. Skoot61

Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Another possibility is the ignition switch. Good thing is it won't cost your $100+...

Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 PM

Is there anyway to bench test this ignition switch to avoid replacing that part if it doesn'tneed to be changed? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 97 blazer stalling