2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Chevy Blazer wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Beginning Member
supermancs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 Chevy Blazer wont start

My 97 Chevy Blazer won't start all the sudden. I checked the battery terminals and cleaned off the corrosion (still didn't start) then I got my volt meter and tested the battery which is good then I checked my fuses they are also all good. I found my fuseable link and took it apart but I can't tell if its good or bad. When I turn my ignition I do not get any lights in my dash, it tries to turn over but it doesn't start. My wife drove it last before it started having this problem and she said on her way home she was driving down a hill and it died on her and it started right back up and she got home ok. Earlier in the week I was driving and I noticed it idling very weak I had to hold the gas pedal down alittle so the engine wouldn't die. Can anyone help me? I thought you all should know I don't know much about cars but I have a friend that does and I plan to relay all your ideas to him.

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Is the security light flashing? Did you clean the corrosion of the battery terminals and wires? And does the radio work or any lights?

Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Beginning Member

I cleaned the corrosion off the terminals and no security lights, check engine lights, etc.. are coming on when I try to start the blazer. The radio works and the ceiling lights work.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:10 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

https://blazerforum.com/forum/article-submissions-discussions-47/anatomy-ignition-switch-33465/
This link should help you out, it sounds like a bad ignition switch. Check out the DIY index for how to's on replacing it.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM
spittybays

+1 cat

Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Beginning Member
Default Could it be something else?

My wife was talking to some guys at and telling them what was going on with my blazer and one of them seems to think its the fuel injector. I'm stuck looking for a E4 Torx socket can't find one anywhere in Tacoma.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Presti7 is an unknown quantity at this point

To get the ignition switch inverted torx screws out I dug thru my screw bucket and found a bolt with the right torx size and clamped it in some vice grips.

Used a bolt to take out a bolt. Cheaper than buying the tool.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 AM
spittybays

NAPA AUTO PARTS They have them at NAPA. I know a guy that took a a small throw away socket mixed up some JD weld greased up the post put the goop in the socket and put it on the post. Inventive that he made his own. The one Napa store in Tacoma that I checked had it for 3.60.
So I guess your going with the ignition switch.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Beginning Member

I hope thats what it is. I almost have it all removed but there are two wires (i think one is green and the other is orange that is plug in buy the cylinder but I can't get it to unplug.

@spittybays - do you think it might be something else besides the ignition switch?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:27 AM
spittybays

What are the symptoms of a faulty ignition switch on 1997 s10 blazer This guy seems to think that the no lights are key in the diagnosis. When I just did a strait goggle on "ignition switch replacement B" that's as far as I got before the entire board lit up with 97 Blazer. I guess they had a problem that year.
Your just going to have to fiddle with that connector. I have no tricks.
If it were me I would just keep doing what your doing. It seems your well into it now.
Really no harm done it would most likely go soon anyway.
If that's not it you will probably go to fuel delivery and secondary ignition.

Quick Reply: 97 Chevy Blazer wont start