2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 GMC Jimmy Floor Shifter wont move out of Park, Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 PM
97sltjimmy is on a distinguished road
Default 97 GMC Jimmy Floor Shifter wont move out of Park, Need Help!!

Hello all, I just came across this forum and could use some help. I have a 97 gmc jimmy slt. I have had this thing for ever. Anyway, yesterday I go to jump in the truck put it in drive and I cant get the shifter to move. I have a floor shifter. Whenever I hit the button on the shifter to move it from park (yes my foot is on the brake). I hear a clicking sound coming from the steering column, or dash.. I removed the boot and the center console. I removed the shift cable from the shifter, and I can switch into any gear by moving the cable forwards or backwards, But the shifter itself won't budge. I don't mind shifting the cable for now, but if this is a simple fix, I would really like to know. Thank you all! Also I read about a white lever you can move towards driver side to (bypass) (this didn't work either)

Old 02-05-2015, 07:51 AM
97sltjimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone have any advice?

Hello again, I am surprised no one has any idea to give me a clue as to what this issue could be?? I know this is the blazer forum, but can I get some help on the Jimmy?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Starting Member
Timothy Elliott is on a distinguished road

I have taken a motor and transmission out of a 95 s10 blazer and put it in my 95 s10 blazer and when I went to install the shifter cable it will not move. I have tried numerous things and nothing has worked. Even the cable in the Blazer I removed the motor from will not shift! Can someone help me please?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

I would start by looking at the neutral safety switch which could either be part of the brake light switch or in the shifter assembly itself. I haven't ever had this problem on mine so Im not sure where it is located on the blazer but it is a place to start looking.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

The answer most likely lies with the BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock) solenoid on the floor shift lever. If the sensor wears out or gets corroded then the BTSI solenoid won't allow the floor shifter to move. I solved the problem on my '98 Jimmy by wiring a toggle switch in line with the BTSI sensor so that I could manually override it. If you search my posting history here on the forum you should be able to find more details about my troubleshooting and repair process.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2015, 11:57 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

That circuit makes an excellent anti theft device when wired with a normally closed momentary switch.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:49 PM
Starting Member
donnniebob is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up cant take it out of park

my 89 jimmy wouldn't shift out of park so i looked online for an hour or so and came across some good ideas to try. there's a little white tab on the right side of the shiftier under the boot. i pushed the white tab down and there was a little white round plastic piece i just put my finger on it with my foot on the brake moved it around a little bit while trying to get it out of park and it worked. i don't know if that will help anyone but this is what worked for me.