2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 S-10 Blazer stalling when warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 09:22 AM
Starting Member
Hvp2518 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 S-10 Blazer stalling when warm

97' Blazer with 110,000 miles been sitting in the weeds for 8 years with a bad transmission. My boy got his drivers license so we pushed it in the shop to see what it would take to get it on the road. Removed transmission and replaced it with a $100 craigslist 4L60E. Dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it out (very nasty) and replaced the pump and sending unit. Replaced the fuel filter as well. Found that we needed a battery and a starter, replaced both. Then we put all new brakes on it and a set of $100 craigslist tires. Put an air filter in it changed the oil, checked all fluids and started it up. Ran like a top. My son drove it for a month with very few issues. Transmission started slipping so we pulled it back in the shop and I ordered an eBay transmission that has low miles and a warranty. We put the eBay transmission in and while we were working on that, noticed the water pump dripping. Put a water pump on it. While finishing up the transmission, the dipstick tube got the better of us and cracked the distributor cap. I had my son install plugs, wires, and cap. Son drove the Blazer home (approximately 10 miles, outside air temp about 80 degrees). When he got home, he said the motor was hunting. He is not good at all at describing mechanical issues, so I blew it off until I could check it out the next day. When I drove it the next day, it ran absolutely beautifully (like it has,) idled smoothly and acceptable acceleration. After about 10 miles, the motor seemed like it wanted to buck and lose power if throttle was applied. The further from home I got, the worse it got. By the time I arrived at my shop, I was only moving about 15 mph. It was losing power. And then it died in the driveway. I turned the key off and went to restart it -- it started immediately, without hesitation, and I drove it the last 200 yards into the shop.

Since this problem started, I have replaced the EGR, the MAF, the MAP, the computer temp sensor, and I removed the bolts where my exhaust attaches to the catalytic converter to see if that might make a difference (looking to see if the cat might be clogged). None of this has done anything. I borrowed a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone while I was there. The fuel pressure was about 58 psi at idle and only fluctuated a couple psi when I revved it up. I did not do the test to see if the pressure bleeds off over time, I wish I had.

Through all the test drives that I have done, I have found that the engine sometimes dies when I come up to a stop sign, But ALWAYS starts up immediately when I try to restart it. When I restart it, it usually drives a little better for a short amount of time. If we let the car sit for 2-3 hours, it drives perfectly for about 10 miles and then goes downhill again. I am not a great mechanic, but I can replace parts with the rest of them. Any suggestions?

Old 11-27-2022, 09:39 PM
Starting Member
jbboyce is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer fuel pump electrical issues

I'm seeing some peeps need alot help on these threads fuel pump electrical issues . Replace ignition switch and or check ground wire. I was having similar issues with my blazer I replaced the fuel pump and relays would start and die still on me. Replaced ignition switch haven't had an issue since. Hope this helps alot of u.

Old 11-27-2022, 11:44 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hvp2518
97' Blazer with 110,000 miles been sitting in the weeds for 8 years with a bad transmission. My boy got his drivers license so we pushed it in the shop to see what it would take to get it on the road. Removed transmission and replaced it with a $100 craigslist 4L60E. Dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it out (very nasty) and replaced the pump and sending unit. Replaced the fuel filter as well. Found that we needed a battery and a starter, replaced both. Then we put all new brakes on it and a set of $100 craigslist tires. Put an air filter in it changed the oil, checked all fluids and started it up. Ran like a top. My son drove it for a month with very few issues. Transmission started slipping so we pulled it back in the shop and I ordered an eBay transmission that has low miles and a warranty. We put the eBay transmission in and while we were working on that, noticed the water pump dripping. Put a water pump on it. While finishing up the transmission, the dipstick tube got the better of us and cracked the distributor cap. I had my son install plugs, wires, and cap. Son drove the Blazer home (approximately 10 miles, outside air temp about 80 degrees). When he got home, he said the motor was hunting. He is not good at all at describing mechanical issues, so I blew it off until I could check it out the next day. When I drove it the next day, it ran absolutely beautifully (like it has,) idled smoothly and acceptable acceleration. After about 10 miles, the motor seemed like it wanted to buck and lose power if throttle was applied. The further from home I got, the worse it got. By the time I arrived at my shop, I was only moving about 15 mph. It was losing power. And then it died in the driveway. I turned the key off and went to restart it -- it started immediately, without hesitation, and I drove it the last 200 yards into the shop.

Since this problem started, I have replaced the EGR, the MAF, the MAP, the computer temp sensor, and I removed the bolts where my exhaust attaches to the catalytic converter to see if that might make a difference (looking to see if the cat might be clogged). None of this has done anything. I borrowed a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone while I was there. The fuel pressure was about 58 psi at idle and only fluctuated a couple psi when I revved it up. I did not do the test to see if the pressure bleeds off over time, I wish I had.

Through all the test drives that I have done, I have found that the engine sometimes dies when I come up to a stop sign, But ALWAYS starts up immediately when I try to restart it. When I restart it, it usually drives a little better for a short amount of time. If we let the car sit for 2-3 hours, it drives perfectly for about 10 miles and then goes downhill again. I am not a great mechanic, but I can replace parts with the rest of them. Any suggestions?
Did you ever get this resolved?

George