2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer Radio Troubles.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 PM
PicAFlic is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer Radio Troubles.

Hello,
I'm just looking to see if anyone can give their input on what might be wrong with my Blazer. I have a 1998 4 door and recently, the radios audio periodically goes out. The display is on the radio, I can change the station on it, the volume, etc. but there's no sound coming out of the speakers. I've heard it's probably a wire that runs under the drivers side carpet, after 13 years of moisture, it deteriorates and what not. It sometimes comes back on for a moment on it's own, and seems always to be at a very loud level of volume. So, please if someone could help me out that would be great, thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:07 AM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

no sound out of all of the speakers or just a single speaker?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 PM

No, none. I heard from another mechanic I know, that it might be the radio itself. But, I don't seevhow that's possible if the radio itself is on.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:50 PM

If its all speakers i highly doubt will be a wire corrosion issue as each speaker will have a seperate wire coming out of the back of the stereo.........If the internal amp in the stereo is shot then it will still turn on but will not amplify anything.

But if all speakers are out sounds like the stereo to me, you can get aftermarket ones pretty inexpensive....and if you REALLY want to keep the costs down you can skip the wiring harness and soder everything in using reference to the wiring diagram.....tis what i did in my s10

Old 02-13-2011, 12:08 AM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

ya but the wire harness is like $15 ish. 2000+ that harness becomes expensive! not to mention the harness allows you to reinstall a factory unit on resale so u can keep ur nice head unit instead. but yes, for a PERM perm solution for installation, soldering the wires together following the diagram is by far the superior method for it.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Well, I was afraid of that. But, it is what it is. I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to get a new deck put in. Found a nice Alpine for $150. Also, was kinda hard to find one that fit the Blazer, lol. Also, I talked to the installation guy there, he said he's gonna test the speakers for me to see if it's them or the radio also. So, wish me luck, and by this time tomorrow, this issue will be over.

Last edited by PicAFlic; 02-13-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 PM

yup, if all 4,,,er,,6 stopped working at the same time its prob stereo, unless it was one at a time and you didnt notice that you blew them all, but unlikely....................let us know how it goes!..........I have a full alpine system in my blazer...love it (was about 10X what your spending on the deck though!)

Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 PM

Well, my issue is solved (kinda, lol). My new Alpine CDE-102 is in and working great. I found out, that it was indeed the internal amp. in the stock radio that went. I guess the 2 rear door speakers coils locked up, and because of that, sent to many OHMS (Ω) back to the amp, and toasted it. So, for now I still have 4 of the 6 speakers running, and their all in the front, what is all I really need.

Last edited by PicAFlic; 02-14-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:52 PM

good to hear, speakers in the back arent to much of a hassel to get to, just need a bit of patience and the big torx key to take off the seatbelts, then you can throw even some cheap 30 dollar xplods in there and they will be better than the stock ones!

good to hear it got all sorted out, thats a nice little deck, can stick a usb stick in the front and what not, i got the older model of the cda-117 with the 400bt in it and the steering wheel control module...love it! only thing is with mine you scroll through your ipod on the deck and its a bit slow scrolling...but alpine all the way !