Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

HD Radio vs. Satellite Radio & Alpine HU's

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 PM
black19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HD Radio vs. Satellite Radio & Alpine HU's

Just checking out a headunit to replace the stock deck so I can finally get some real sound out of my speakers and I've have run into a few questions. Primarily I am looking at two HU's to install, the Alpine CDA-9853 and the Alpine CDA-9857. I originally was thinking the 9853 because it's a relatively decent price and has enough bells & whistles to keep me happy. Mostly the iPod & Sat Radio ready functions and removable faceplate. However the 9857 has all that plus the HD radio capability. My problem is that I dont know much about HD Radio and whether or not it is worth it or going to be worth it. That being said I'm worried about settling for Satellite radio since they are starting to air commercials now which is annoying and was one of my main reasons for being interested. I know this is the case with XM Radio, maybe Sirius is different.

Can anyone give me an opinion on the two decks and some input on the HD Radio vs. Sat. Radio issue?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:08 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: HD Radio vs. Satellite Radio & Alpine HU's

All I really know about HD radio is that its a stronger like signal from the tower of the station but not many stations have the technology. I know theres only like 2 or 3 stations out in maryland that have those capabilities. But if you are somewhere like Cali or something like that u know somewhere Big then you prolly have more.

With satelite You do have to pay monthly. XM is like 12 a month but if you get 2 or more people on the plan its only 6 bux or so a month. You get commercial Free music. Online Radio comes with it. Barely ever cuts out (only in heavily wooded areas where signal could be blocked) You do get CD quality music and yea. Thats all I can think of that it has for now...... hmmmm I Dont know much about sirius radio tho :X sorry!

Old 06-21-2006, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: XBlazer01

All I really know about HD radio is that its a stronger like signal from the tower of the station but not many stations have the technology. I know theres only like 2 or 3 stations out in maryland that have those capabilities. But if you are somewhere like Cali or something like that u know somewhere Big then you prolly have more.

With satelite You do have to pay monthly. XM is like 12 a month but if you get 2 or more people on the plan its only 6 bux or so a month. You get commercial Free music. Online Radio comes with it. Barely ever cuts out (only in heavily wooded areas where signal could be blocked) You do get CD quality music and yea. Thats all I can think of that it has for now...... hmmmm I Dont know much about sirius radio tho :X sorry!
XM isn't really commercial free anymore. That's why I'm looking into HD radio. My girlfriend has it in her Accord and they slowly have started adding in commercials to many of the popular channels. She called customer service and they told her that it's "ok because it totals to only about 7 minutes an hour and regular radio has about 22 mins an hour" Either way, the whole reason I wanted Sat. radio was for the signal and the lack of commercials. But who knows, I may end up succmbing to it in the long run.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:50 AM
BF Veteran

I thought i heard one the other day, I think im gonna call em and flip out. I mean I can understand like on 67 Or something when they promote and interview with an artist or like a DJ's Show But I heard radio shack or some shat lol.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:25 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

i am also interested in HD Radio.....but from my understanding as stated before by Xblazer, its not very popular yet and not many stations have it......and since my Eclipse uses Serius i may get that. but ive also heard rumors that they aren't doing well either. So im in a jam here lol

Old 06-21-2006, 02:02 AM
BF Veteran

urs SHOULD be just Satelite Ready where its compatible with both. Its a newer headunit right? (jagblaer) Cause the new ones can do both.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:34 AM

Just did a little research here's what I found:

http://www.forbes.com/2006/03/08/xm-...acescan06.html

http://www.xmradio.com/lineup/index.jsp

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?p=96954

Anyway, any opinions on the headunits I mentioned in the first post?

Old 06-21-2006, 03:03 AM
BF Veteran

"The four channels represent 2.5% of XM's roster of 160 subscription channels."

Thats not to bad tho. In the 2 weeks that they've been doing the commercials I only heard 1 so far and it was on 20 on 20. The commercial was MAYBE 20 seconds long? lol

I dont know alpine stuff tho sorry :X

Old 06-21-2006, 03:18 AM

Yeah I dont imagine it being too much of an issue but if I can get essentially the same thing for free in HD, I may spring for the HD Radio unit. Or just go for the cheaper unit and get Sirius which apparently doesnt have commercials at all as well.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:25 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

HD is public broadcast stuff, basically the same radio you hear now rebroadcast in higher quality, you'll still get commericials, the only advantage is you get clearer music and a little better range. I'd look into the specs of the reciever though my alpine headunit says HD compatable but to recieve HD signals you have to purchase a HD reciever that connects to the HU at a cost of $250 or so. For that price you could pay for a satellite reciever and a years subscription and get more channels and no commercials. On the other hand if you plan on keeping the system for several years the operating cost of HD is lower overall because you don't have the monthly fee, you just have to put up with commercials.

Quick Reply: HD Radio vs. Satellite Radio & Alpine HU's