2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 blazer wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:09 AM
blazer fan is on a distinguished road
Default 98 blazer wiring issue

I have a 98 blazer - the issue I am having is with the rear drivers blinker. It continually blows fuses. I have gone through changing out the turn signal switch as well as the lights. I unplugged the light assembly in the back and tried a new fuse - it blew again. What color is the blinker wires coming out of the fuse panel and from the rear light assembly? At this point I am about to run new wires all the way back from there to get it to work. Any help would be great.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

Take a very close look at the socket. They can go bad and it's not easy to see the pins/connections are shorting out.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Default Continuation of my issue

Thank you 1998MSO, I unplugged the rear taillight assembly itself from inside the frame and tried a new fuse - which it blew. I will replace the sockets themselves tomorrow, but I find that it may not help. I have a feeling its the power wire(s) from the turn signal fuse back to the light, but I have no idea what color that wire is. I know it could possibly be a ground too, but as far as I know there is only 1 ground for that light and the wire seems to be fine.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a wire grounded out in the harness.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Does the fuse blow when you use the stop lights? Stop lights and turn signals use the same filament in the bulb, and the same wire, from the multifunction switch to the socket. The wire is dark green with a white stripe from the multifunction switch to the fuse. From the fuse to the socket it's dark green.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 09-01-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: more details
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Default Thank you

I appreciate all the input. Thank you captain hook for the color code of the wire. The only time the stop or hazard fuses blow is when I insert a 15-20 amp fuse in the turn signal fuse slot instead of the required 10 amp. As you know both those fuses take 20 amp fuses. Figured it was something more for me to try. I will be trying to replace that dark green wire today and pray that this resolves the problem. Other than the dark green, is there any other wires I should consider looking at? As I stated before, I believe there is only 1 ground wire for the rear lights and I found it near the rear drivers tail light (which is in fine shape).

Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The reason it calls for a 10 amp fuse is so the 4 way fuse won't blow if there is a short in the T/S circuit, (the 10 will blow first). It also makes it easier to find the short. Your short is between the T/S fuse and the socket in the dark green wire.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Default Dark green Wire

There is no dark green wire for the LH Turn. I did cut the yellow wire for power from both the fuse panel and the light assembly to that side and spliced a new wire in on the outside of the truck to see if that power wire was the problem. It wasn't. The colors for that side are black, brown, light green for parking lights and the yellow. The yellow says its for the LH Turn. Any other ideas?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 PM

My mistake, sorry. You're correct, left rear turn/stop is yellow. Dark green is for the passenger side.

Make sure you have the correct amp fuses installed, then remove both of the left turn/stop bulbs and see if it blows the fuse.

If the fuse does not blow, the problem is in the tail light assembly: either a bad socket or a bad bulb.

If it still blows fuse #15 10 amp fuse with the turn signal, but not with the stop lights, the problem could be in the multifunction switch. The stop lamp switch supplies voltage to the multifunction switch. Circuits inside the multifunction switch split the stop lamp voltage signal and supply voltage through the same yellow wire to fuse #15 10 amp fuse and then to the stop/turn filament. It's possible that the left turn circuit in the multifunction switch is shorted to ground.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 09-04-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Default multifunction switch

I have replaced both the multifunction switch as well as the harness assembly. All the correct fuses are in there places. I'm at my wits end with this and unfortunately going to have to take it in if there is no solution. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I just can't think of anything else it could be. If someone comes up with something I will be checking this site this weekend. Come Tuesday - its do or die...... lol.

Quick Reply: 98 blazer wiring issue