2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Bravada AWD.... engaged?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 PM
UBER__ is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 98 Bravada AWD.... engaged?

Hello,

so please forgive me if I sound dump or don't understand car or trucks well enough.

A while ago the AWD system gave me trouble with grinding while turning and backing up. Someone told me it could be the transfer case. Since I'm not too familiar with these new trucks and their complicated computer systems, (sensors) I just removed the front driveshaft so that the truck will only be in 2WD mode.

No issues since, but recently I got some new tires, changed the ball joints, and got a wheel alignment.

So like I fool I decided to try and see if by chance the normal operation of the AWD system would work if I reinstall the front driveshaft.

I had problems from the start. It felt like the tranny was in 1st first gear and wouldn't shift. Figured the AWD system engaged and locked something up.

Not having tons of $$ I decided to just remove the front driveshaft again and leave all well enough alone with just 2WD.

But after I removed the driveshaft the issue remained. I removed the fuses for the 4WD in the drivers door and removed the battery cables to maybe reset or disengage whatever was causing the issue. Still no luck....

It should just be under 2WD mode now with the front driveshaft like before but something is stuck. I noticed the front driverside tire hard to turn when lift like it stuck.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to disengage whatever is stuck and just leave the truck with the 2WD as before.

Best regards,

UBER__

Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Did I post in the proper section?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Yeah.. you just posted at same time a lot of others were too.

NOT good. It's important you determine if it's the front differential or unrelated like brake stuck. You need to look close and find out where the bind is.

IF you can turn the one wheel by hand, what is the other doing? What happens when you turn the diff input yoke?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Hello,

the truck drifts fine downhill so there is no brake related issue and the front right tire I thought felt stuck but it not.

At this point, I wanna remove the transfer case and any other parts that are related to the AWD system. Turn the truck to permanent stake of 2WD. Don't know if that's possible.

There are some cables near the transfer case I thought maybe somehow got stuck but thats not the case either.

Shame because it works totally fine before I put back the front driveshaft.

Best regards,

UBER__

Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 AM
BF Veteran

You dont have to take off the transfer case. WAY lot of work and trouble.
Just make sure it's got fluid in it.. and not transmission fluid but the stuff called for in the owner manual.

To make it 2wd, remove the cv's. take/break them apart and reinstall just the spline through the hub. Now you got no 4wd drag and the system is restorable if the next guy wants to try.
Option is of course to try to find core return cv's and get em cheap, so you have yours assuming they are in good shape.
And if you want to remove front diff, that up to you.
How do I know?

Already researched as my "Plan B, if and when"
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Previously I asked a couple questions to determine if your problem was same as mine was, you either didnt understand or dont know what was was describing.
That is a binding in reverse and turn, and crowhop {inside front tire} on low speed turn on dry pavement

A GM Tech note directive along with cleaning a connector fixed it.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-29-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Previously I asked a couple questions to determine if your problem was same as mine was, you either didnt understand or dont know what was was describing.
That is a binding in reverse and turn, and crowhop {inside front tire} on low speed turn on dry pavement
Hello,

yes some of the replies I didn't fully understand to be honest. Sorry about that.

What I quoted before describes my issue initially when I first got the truck... So what I did was remove the front driveshaft and for about 5 years things where all great, because the AWD system never engaged.

But now, after I did some work on suspension and CV joints, ball joints, etc, like a fool I reinstalled the front driveshaft and the system like instantly engaged. It "locked up", the front tires when lifted are very hard to turn but not brake related.

So I'm thinking, where is the sensor or whatever engages the AWD system? How do I disengage the AWD. Is there a sensor or something that actually mechanically that locks it down in position. Can that be freed? I don't need the AWD system, so I'm looking to remove whatever to bring it back to a 2WD system permanently. At this point I can't drive it anywhere without putting a strain of tranny.

I hope this does help.

Best regards,

UBER__

Last edited by UBER__; 03-30-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-30-2012, 11:34 AM
BF Veteran

Well, then...
Since oyu already have the driveshaft off.. remove the connection from the wheels to the front differential.
To make it 2wd, remove the cv's. take/break them apart and reinstall just the spline through the hub. Now you got no 4wd drag and the system is restorable if the next guy wants to try.
Option is of course to try to find core return cv's and get em cheap, so you have yours assuming they are in good shape.
There is no need to 'flip a switch' nor is there a switch to flip, that I can find.
Just make sure the transfer case has lube.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Well, then...
Since oyu already have the driveshaft off.. remove the connection from the wheels to the front differential.

There is no need to 'flip a switch' nor is there a switch to flip, that I can find.
Just make sure the transfer case has lube.

remove the connection from the wheels to the front differential.
Hello,

for the second quote can you help me some more out by describing how to because I'm not entirely sure. Do you think this would disengage the AWD system and revert back to just 2WD.

By the way, thank you so much for responding and helping me out.

Best regards

UBER__

Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM
oldsbravada2000 is on a distinguished road

You can remove the CV shafts completely you DO NOT need them all you would need to do is take a leaf spring bushing and use a mallet and hammer it into the opening of the differential where the cv shaft goes in. As for the transfer case fluid you can go to the dealer and get GM AutoTrak II fluid or get royal purple synchromax fluid for manual transmissions THEY ARE THE SAME THING. your transfer case should NOT engage unless the front wheels are spinning SLOWER than the rear wheels and a bad sensor would NOT make the 4wd engage. So your transfer case has to be stuck in 4wd, this is an extremely common problem and the most common fix is to change the fluid in the case drive it for 500 miles then change it again, yes AGAIN to clean out all of the gunk built up. The grinding noise can be a differential bearing, a wheel bearing, a transfercase output bearing, or it could be a differential input bearing. just change the fluid first and remove you cv shafts too and just stuff a rag in the holes and test drive it and see what happens also check the wheel bearings if they are bad they will look like this

Sorry for the pics being upside down. The thing I was holding in my hand was the seal that held in the grease. It blew out and I lost 4 of the 20 ball bearings and it was a NASTY grinding sound.

Last edited by oldsbravada2000; 03-30-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM
BF Veteran

DO NOT DRIVE WITHOUT THE CV SPLINE SHAFT IN THE HUB

Follow these general directions to remove CV

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...removal-23866/

Your CV may slide into the diff or may be bolted.

To loosen Hub nut: wheel on grd, 36mm and large breaker bar plus helper pipe, reverse the nut and thread till even with shaft. Smack hard with heavy hammer.

Once shaft is out, remove the spline shaft from the cv axle. do a search on how-to reapair/ inspect if not apparent.

Reinstall the spline shaft in the hub and torque to spec.

Quick Reply: 98 Bravada AWD.... engaged?