2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 olds bravada will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 PM
propbreaker is on a distinguished road
Default 98 olds bravada will not start

I have been working on this for a friend. I replace the tank fuel line pump assembly sending unit about 6 months ago also fuel filter.
But yesterday he called me and told me he is stranded on side of the road engine crank but would not start.
I got it towed to his house started going thru it. I checked fuel pressure first 62psi . I pulled plug dry as bone. Checked spark nice and blue. Scanned for codes and none. Tested the ignition module passed tested cam sensor it failed replaced it no start still. Tested crank sensor failed replaced it also no start. Checked all the wiring no issue.
had ecm checked by cardone they said it had problems on the body control side of it. So bought and installed a new ecm. Still it will not run.
I am out of ideas. Anybody have any ideas. I really I am starting to hate this truck. I did perform mechanical inspection to make sure timing component are intact compression test. So it is electrical or fuel. So again any ideas?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member
bonecrush1 is on a distinguished road

when you pulled the plug check if it smells like fuel in the hole. checkall fuses ;for fuel injectors possibly blown or ecm fuse etc. maybe test the fuel for sabotage, or water. fuel volume test.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 AM

I have tested all fuses and did specific gravity test on the fuel and is fine. I spent three hours doing harness to fuse panel short testing. Also ecm to all sensor in the harness to key sensors. After that and no short broken wires or plugs I took the upper intake off to inspect the injectors and pressure regulator. I found alot of oil sitting in dead space of the lower intake. It also looked like an oil fire in there. But no fire happen and we just did an oil change a week before this happened and I measured the oil and was only missing about 9oz . So it not pumping burning or blow by.
Engine does run when you mist fuel thru the throttle body.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Alright I got it to run for about a minute today. After realizing that the secrurity light was stuck on and not programed . I did the 30min reprogram and it started up and we shut it off and now will not Start again. since the last post we replaced the coil. I get fuel pressure and pulse to the injector plug as tested by noid light. but seem to get no spark. Is it possible the bcm will keep it from running.? Or the can the little chip on the ignition housing keep it from running. this bravada is not equipped with the chip key or keyless entry. Help I am stuck I have spent almost 2 days inspecting wires.