2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 V8 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Sequoyah is on a distinguished road
Default 98 V8 conversion

Hello,
Guys/Gals please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot or it is a repost but I have searched the forum and haven't found the answers I am looking for. I have a 98 S10 blazer 4X4. I would like to put a small block in using a carburetor doing away with the fi. I posted on another forum and was told I am looking at a $20k conversion talked to some guys at jtr and they say different. I am not interested in building a rock climber or a drag car lol just a daily driver. I know about the headers, oil pan, motor mounts and the laws with older stuff in newer rides. My main questions are how do i get the trans to work and is the above stated stuff all i need to do the conversion.
Thanks

Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Why one earth would you drop fuel injection for a carb??? You can do the swap using a V8 from around the same era with injection and have your computer reflashed to use 2 more cylinders, its a little more than that, but much better than using a carb... Carbs use way more fuel... Slap the guy that said 20G... He must have thought you were after an 800 HP sprintcar motor

If you wanted to use a carb engine, then use a 700R4 transmission too and do away with your electronics. But im pretty sure they control your dash too, so your dash would be blank.

You could get that whole powertrain from an early 80s camaro or pickup or corvette for about 1 thousand. But it you want everything to work as it does now just with a little more power then I would use an injected engine that your current computer can control.

Last edited by ohsofly; 05-17-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:47 PM

Well friend i have replace parts and replaced parts and still haven't fix it so i want to do away with the computer and all that jazz i want something i can work on with out a computer. You are right tough I could prolly find a 98 1/2 ton and get all the parts i need for about the 3k mark but not having to use a computer to tell me what is wrong with it seems alot better. Thanks for the info on the dash aswell i will have to look into it.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

My opinion...sell it and go buy a early 80's Silverado. $100 says you wont finish the swap.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:40 PM

If my dad didn't leave me the blazer when he passed i prolly would have gave it away at one point. Its a good thing opinions are like butt holes everyone has one . when i start it it will be finished no offense but i came here to learn and for encouragement not to be discouraged. We should all remember the old saying if ya don't have anything good to say don't say anything.

Last edited by Sequoyah; 05-18-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Seqouyah, there should be more opinions and help a little later. But personally, I think you could get an LT1 and harness and make it work, although the trans might need a bit of beefen up....

Now, If I can recall some figures when I looked at this stuff, you could easily spend 5k to do it and make it awesome,

Now most people do try swaps, and some finish and some dont, but if you would like, I suggest that you go into the "builds" section and start a thread, and then document your progress....

Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Sounds good wlorton when i start just trying to get all my research done first like the gauges had no idea about that. All i knew about was the oil pan, headers, mounts and not the trans with a carb motor but is all good found a th350 4 wheel drive trans and dude said if i pull it i can have it but not sure about how to make the push button 4 wheel drive work with it research and more research lol thanks will take a look at the builds forum prolly some good info there thanks man for your help.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Find a SCFI 5.7L Vortec engine from a fullsize truck. Get your PCM retuned for the v8, wire in the extra two injectors, and away you go. Going carb'd is going to be a nightmare inside the truck. A lot of the stuff inside is tied in with the PCM/BCM. If they aren't happy, you won't be happy.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:30 PM

I am finding that out swartlkk thanks for your input. my electrical system seems to be the issue so i am trying to find a full size truck around the same year so i can rob all the stuff i need off it. If i cant do that its gonna be a pita one way or another it is gonna be back on the road.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM
99jimmy500 is on a distinguished road

stick with the vor350 i am working on a sim project

Quick Reply: 98 V8 conversion