2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 4.3 in a 01 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member
lowloudnproud1 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 99 4.3 in a 01 blazer

ok guys im new to forum n figured this would be the place on where to ask this i bought my 2001 blazer for 500 with no motor n planned on doing a v8 swap in the midst of the swap id like to be able to drive the blazer while im building the v8 my truck is a 2001 blazer 2 door 2 wheel drive 5speed i can get my hands on a 1999 gmc jimmy 4dr 4wd my questions are are the motors exactly the same like is it plug n play or do i have to swap sensors will the 01 pcm werk with the 99 motor can i use the manual flywheel n clutch assembly on the 99 motor im kinda in a crunch and need to find this stuff out any help is greatly appreceiated thank you-Tom

Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Should be the same, but check the knock sensor plug. If it is a single wire, it will be a direct swap. If it is a two wire then the block will not have the proper machining for the bolt on sensor. I don't think this change occurred until mid-'02, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Beginning Member

ok now is that the plug on the harness or on the motor i have a complete harness im actually going to look now if i can get a response quick enough there should be no difference in the oil pan correct?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The oil pan does come back as being different between the two, but I'm not sure of the differences.

Concerning the plug, it would be on the harness currently in your vehicle that would connect to the knock sensor.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Dan 128 is on a distinguished road

When I bought my 2000 Blazer with a bad motor everyone I talked to told me I had to use either a late 99 or a 2000 motor only.
I even had one of my local yards talk me out of buying their 2001 because (as he put it, it's non- computer compatable.)
I myself wouldn't think that GM would change things so muck to make them a one year item. I could see a different intake, manifold, sensor location, ect, but to make the heads and block year specific???? I wish I had logged on here earlier.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member

i tried looking but with the weather here in rochester blows and its dark i did i find a one wire plug but it didnt look like it was a knock sensor plug had a white wire leading to it and was a weird shaped end is this the knock sensor plug? anyone got any pictures of what i should be looking for?