2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'99 Blazer 4.3 - security problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
BooTs is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy '99 Blazer 4.3 - security problem?

I took my Blazer with me when I moved to France. Recently I stupidly ran out of fuel and since then the vehicle has refused to start.
The fuel pump is working and the filter has been changed.
The dealer in the UK suggested that the immobiliser may have kicked in and I intend to try and reset it tomorrow. If this fails my only option is to return the vehicle to the UK as the dealer is the only one in Europe that has the correct computer diagnostic program since GM withdrew from the UK.
Has anyone any other ideas please?

BooTs

Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your security light has illuminated, I would suspect that the ignition switch has failed. I would try the ignition switch replacement before taking it a long way to have it diagnosed.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If your security light has illuminated, I would suspect that the ignition switch has failed. I would try the ignition switch replacement before taking it a long way to have it diagnosed.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Would this still be the case if the engine turns over but doesn't kick into life? I got it to start momentarilly with instant start but the guy at the Chevy dealer in the UK has said it's a surefire way of killing the engine altogether...(not sure on the validity of that statement...)

Have tried the override as per the manual (hold door lock, ignition on, off, on, off, release door lock, enter code via number of presses via rear fog lamp etc. etc.) but no luck (despite security light coming on for 4 seconds after the correct entry of each code number).

At wits end!!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That override is a new one... Where did you hear about that? Not that those of us in the states have a rear fog light switch...

Will it start and stay running if you dribble fuel down the intake?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 AM

That override was from the owners manual (section 3, page 114)! Code on the back of the manual says 99ENG53R (BLAZER - UK).

It won't start and stay running if I dribble fuel down in the intake, which is why I think it's the security system.

The more I read about the passlock system, the more I think it's that, but can't be too sure about what needs to be done to fix it!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

This might be stupid enough to work. Have you disconnected your battery for more than a hour and plugged it back in and then tried to start it ?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.
Will give it a try and let you know.

This is not going to beat me!!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member
Hotfingers is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried starter fluid? I had a similar problem with a 1993 S-10. I thought the fuel pump was working too. It wouldn't start without starting fluid. The fuel pump pumps a lot more gas when your starting the engine than when it is idiling and the fuel pump was pumping, but just not enough to get it started.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:32 AM
I did try 'Instant Start' and the engine did fire. Originally assumed that there was a pump problem but flow and pressure seem OK.

If necessary I will have to check the pump physically but it is difficult here in the wilds of Normandy.

Like the other posts will let you know.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, please keep them coming

Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Beginning Member
tponeill is on a distinguished road

Sometimes running out of fuel sucks sediment from the tank into the fuel filter. Filter plugs up but may still allow some fuel through, just not enough. (sorry, I see you did that)
Also gas floats on water, if you had some water, (condensation in the tank and it got into the system it would behave as you have described. Add some dry gas to the tank and it may take severl tries to start to work it out of your system.
The security system shuts off the pump preventing it from running, if you hear the pump that is probably not the problem and the filter is a quick cheap check.
Next remove the gas cap, and then put it back on, I know this sounds dumb but excessive vaccum can stop fuel flow, cap can be bad and will sometimes trigger check engine light.
Next check fuel pressure; should be over 60 psi when first turned on and low to mid 50 psi when the pump turns off.
Clearing the computer memory as mentioned above by disconnecting the battery is also wise before spending $.

Last edited by tponeill; 05-21-2009 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: '99 Blazer 4.3 - security problem?