2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 blazer 4.3 v-6 no start - column question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Beginning Member
trapperdog is on a distinguished road
Default 99 blazer 4.3 v-6 no start - column question

the magnetic pick-up on top of tumbler 3-wires -- is it possible to jump or connect these together to confirm not running ? if i remember correctly it would run then die if wrong key was used ? ( tumbler is a mess but still works ) now it just spins no fire -- will check fuel delivery as well

Old 11-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The sensor is for the Passlock system, and no, you can not just jump the wires. The sensor must be replaced if it's bad. When Passlock detects a possible theft situation, (using the wrong key, or no key, etc) it disables the fuel injectors. Is the "Security" light on the dash illuminated while attempting to start the engine? If so, Passlock is preventing the vehicle from starting. The key sensor and housing is available aftermarket, you don't have to buy it from a GM dealer. If that's what the problem is, no reprogramming is necessary on most versions of Passlock.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The sensor is for the Passlock system, and no, you can not just jump the wires. The sensor must be replaced if it's bad. When Passlock detects a possible theft situation, (using the wrong key, or no key, etc) it disables the fuel injectors. Is the "Security" light on the dash illuminated while attempting to start the engine? If so, Passlock is preventing the vehicle from starting. The key sensor and housing is available aftermarket, you don't have to buy it from a GM dealer. If that's what the problem is, no reprogramming is necessary on most versions of Passlock.

thank you I will try it -- I do have fuel pressure at acess port in line - I did dump a lil fuel down throat but still no fire -I really don't want to drop tank so I will try this first -

Old 12-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If it doesn't start and run after adding fuel in the throttle body, it's very likely an ignition problem. Pull the wires off at the spark plugs, prop up each wire, (one at a time) about a half inch from ground. Check for spark at each of the spark plug wires while cranking. Must be a blue, not orange, spark. Post your results.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Beginning Member

If it doesn't start and run after adding fuel in the throttle body, it's very likely an ignition problem. Pull the wires off at the spark plugs, prop up each wire, (one at a time) about a half inch from ground. Check for spark at each of the spark plug wires while cranking. Must be a blue, not orange, spark. Post your results.

will try that today -- vehicle is outdoors -- toooo friggin cold yesterday -10 & windy- but suppose to hit +20 today will check coil first - should be a lightning show if working correctly -- then single plug -- if no spark at plug - module is culprit hopefully

Old 12-02-2014, 08:45 AM

If there is no spark from the coil, we'll need to diagnose that. No spark at plugs will require a different diagnosis procedure... One step at a time

Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Beginning Member

If there is no spark from the coil, we'll need to diagnose that. No spark at plugs will require a different diagnosis procedure... One step at a time

oh yea i know all too well about one step !!! i am going to push into garage today -- coil should be lightning show if working correctly - picked up column yesterday $25.00 complete with key ( great deal) pass lock pickup is munched --LONG STORY -- will install first -- hopefully it will go -- pass lock can do funny thing with ignition as well . will post results as i move along --

thank you so much for the help

Old 12-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Beginning Member
Default problem with ign after new/used coulmn

after installing column- and find buggered in auto start system -- can of worms happen -- fires up for two-three seconds then shuts down -- I have re programmed ignition and computer but it is still stuck in anti-theft security mode -- programmed pass loc system 3 times for 15mins each - but still in fuel shut off mode -- I probably have to re-connect b/s that involves security system under dash ---arrrrgh

Old 12-06-2014, 10:07 PM

From post #7: "picked up column yesterday $25.00 complete with key ( great deal) pass lock pickup is munched"

From post #2: "When Passlock detects a possible theft situation, (using the wrong key, or no key, etc) it disables the fuel injectors."

Passlock does not recognize your "new" key. On some of the Passlock systems, you need to use the original key to initiate the reprogram process, (that might be why you can't get the reprogram to work). Install your original ignition lock cylinder into your "new" column, so you can use your original key. The Passlock sensor in the column must be functional, and certain ones, not all, are available aftermarket. If that doesn't work, do a Google search for disabling Passlock.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Beginning Member

From post #7: "picked up column yesterday $25.00 complete with key ( great deal) pass lock pickup is munched"

From post #2: "When Passlock detects a possible theft situation, (using the wrong key, or no key, etc) it disables the fuel injectors."

Passlock does not recognize your "new" key. On some of the Passlock systems, you need to use the original key to initiate the reprogram process, (that might be why you can't get the reprogram to work). Install your original ignition lock cylinder into your "new" column, so you can use your original key. The Passlock sensor in the column must be functional, and certain ones, not all, are available aftermarket. If that doesn't work, do a Google search for disabling Passlock.

whole column was replaced including key and tumbler OEM that came with column from junk yard -- key is not chipped ( I think) just a straight metal key with no ohm chip --unless it is under plastic of key ? ( oem key) will try swapping out tumblers with key -- also key fob no longer functions for door locks -- that is why I am thinking I might have to put auto start B/S back in ? I might of taken out something in that system -- but used original OEM harness that came with replacement column -- everything fit like it should of .

Quick Reply: 99 blazer 4.3 v-6 no start - column question