2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Blazer...Bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:24 PM
sinistar2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 99 Blazer...Bad fuel pump?

So I drove my 99 Blazer all over today without a problem. I stop for gas, fill up...and now it wont start up. It cranks but it doesnt seem like I am getting any gas. I dont know much about cars so a guy stopped and primed the thing with a little bit og gas which caused the thing to try to start, but nothing after that as no gas was making it through. I did have a check engine light on prior to this happening. I checked all of my fuses and everything seems ok. Any thoughts? I appreciate any advice or info you guys can give.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A fuel pressure test is the first thing to do when suspecting a fuel delivery problem.

You could try hitting the bottom of the tank to jar the fuel pump, hopefully coaxing it to pump.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:53 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinistar2k
...I did have a check engine light on prior to this happening...
When you have that light on, the computer is trying to tell you something is wrong. You shouldn't ignore it. Most AutoZone or Advance Auto stores will read the code(s) for free.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

look for the fuel rail on the back of the engine it has a black cap on top of a schraeder valve its there to let you relieve the pressure of the fuel line when you replace the fuel filter, turn the key to on don't crank it, pop the hood and then find the fitting get a rag in hand in case there is fuel in the line hit the schraeder valve, if the pump is working fine then you there should be stream of fuel that just squirted out into the rag if not then you have issues with a dead pump, its not a terribly hard job to do yourself either I did it with my buddy a while ago in my driveway and you will need a set of fuel line disconnects and floor jack to place under the tank when you drop it down from the vehicle

Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 PM
figgler is on a distinguished road

could be bad gas, particles in the gas clog up the filter, so everything could be fine but it really sucks to get rid of. Let it sit for a while so the sediment can settle and if it starts and then shuts down on you again thats probably what it is.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:17 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Can you hear the pump run when you turn the key on? The filter will not pass water... If you picked up any water when you filled up then the filter will need to be changed.