2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'99 Blazer not Starting Correctly

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:55 PM
silentbob40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '99 Blazer not Starting Correctly

Hello! I have a '99 Blazer that I am having starting issues with. If it sits for more then a 1/2 hr, it sounds like it is not going to turn over, then after a 10 - 15 seconds, it will start. It doesn't start up like it would normally would. After running it, and I make stop, when I get back in, the truck starts right back up, like it should, no problems! I had it looked at by two mechanics.

The 1st guy told me I was losing pressure in the fuel system and that it was probbably the spider valve, possibly the fuel pump. The fuel pump had been replaced last year, so the mechanic went with the spider valve. I had it back a day, and it was doing the same thing by the next morning.

I took it to the 2nd mechanic (who I've known since I was 5 and trust) and he went over the Blazer real good. He tested the pressure, the fuel pump. checked what the 1st mechanic did, and came up with replacing the pressure regulator, along with cleaning the injectors and a bunch of other stuff as well. Had it back a day, and boom, same thing. It sounds like it isn't going to turn over, then after a few seconds, it starts.

Here is the twist, I have a slow drain/short somewhere in the truck that no one can seem to find. I talked to the 2nd mechanic and he feels that this may be and issuse with starting the truck. He said that (don't laugh to hard at me because I don't know crap-ola about auto repair), that I need to have a constant 12 amps(or volts, I can't remeber) to start the truck. I have a 9 amp (or volts, I can't remeber) drain on the truck somewhere from what he is telling me. He suggested that I charge up the battery and the following morning install it. If the truck starts right up with no problem, the drain is my issue. I did him one better, and just bought a new battery. The following morning I installed the new battery, and the same thing, it didn't sound like it was going to start and 10 sec later, it started. So I'm back to square one and I'm out 2400 bucks for two different repairs and it's still not fixed.

Does anyone have any idea or can think or any suggestions of anything that may have been missed during the repairs I had done. Any idea about the slow drain? Is this fixable or should I drive it off a cliff. Any help or insight that I can pass onto my mechanic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 PM
creature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: '99 Blazer not Starting Correctly

check the cables going to your starter they may have corrosion

Old 03-20-2008, 07:13 AM
trwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: '99 Blazer not Starting Correctly

At one time, I was experiencing a low battery type start in the mornings. It turned out to be an A/C relay (12193601)that was sticking and causing a 220 milliamp drain.

Here is the text of the invoice:

Test battery w/ GM tool passed 00K for Draw 220 milliamp. Check further found BCM active, traced to sticking A/C relay. Replaced relay, now 19 milliamps, OK. Now 19 milliamps and 14.72 volts at 100 AMPS.

The issue you talk about sounds like it my be different, based on trying the new battery. When you say it"sounds" like it won't start. What sound do you here weak/slow roll-over, clicking, or just nothing... like the battery is dead?

The reason I ask is sometimes (on other vehicles I've had)the starter solenoid(littlelump on the side of the starter) will stick. When you turn the key, you get nothing... The solenoid should move when you turn the key, to engage the starter and join the teeth of the starter motorwith the teeth of the flywheel.

The fact that it is cold cranking could mean that the solenoid is sticking because thegunk that is in there (yes, that's a technical term - GUNK)cools off when the vehicle sits for longer periods. Short stops allow the engine heat to keep the gunk warm... and we all know warm gunk moves better than cold gunk.

Just my two cents for a guy who has Blazer challenges like me.