2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Jimmy Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:02 PM
litlmeal is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Drops to 40psi while cranking the starter? How long were you cranking?
Yes while cranking. Cranked for about 5 seconds each time

Old 01-19-2016, 05:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The poppets will not open if/when fuel pressure drops below ~40psi. The drop that you saw, is exactly right. The injectors are in fact squirting fuel, at least one of them is anyway

When everything is connected, are you still getting the backfire when try to start the engine?

Old 01-19-2016, 05:24 PM

The poppets will not open if/when fuel pressure drops below ~40psi. The drop that you saw, is exactly right. The injectors are in fact squirting fuel, at least one of them is anyway

When everything is connected, are you still getting the backfire when try to start the engine?
No it cranks over good and sputters a few times but never starts. No backfire thru intake anymore.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The air intake tube is connected to the throttle body, and to the MAF sensor, correct? If so, add a one second shot of carb cleaner in the air inlet and try to start it.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:47 PM

The air intake tube is connected to the throttle body, and to the MAF sensor, correct? If so, add a one second shot of carb cleaner in the air inlet and try to start it.
Yes both are connected to throttle body. Sprayed carb cleaner in and it stuttered a little more. Every once in a while i hear i knock noise now that it is firing a little. It kind of sounds like a starter skipping tooth to me

Old 01-19-2016, 05:52 PM

In your first post, you mentioned spark looked good using an inline spark tester: What size gap did you have it set at? Was the spark blue?

Old 01-19-2016, 06:01 PM

In your first post, you mentioned spark looked good using an inline spark tester: What size gap did you have it set at? Was the spark blue?
Gap was at .060. The inline tester i have only lights up red like a test light when spark hits it,its from mac . mac # st400

Old 01-19-2016, 06:10 PM

.060 should be the spark plug gap. I am familiar with the ST400, but I need you to make another test. Pull the coil wire from the distributor and slide the boot back to expose the terminal. Prop the terminal up so there is about a half inch gap to ground, and crank the starter. (don't hold the wire unless you need your hair straightened) There should be a rhythmic blue, not orange, spark.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:30 PM

.060 should be the spark plug gap. I am familiar with the ST400, but I need you to make another test. Pull the coil wire from the distributor and slide the boot back to expose the terminal. Prop the terminal up so there is about a half inch gap to ground, and crank the starter. (don't hold the wire unless you need your hair straightened) There should be a rhythmic blue, not orange, spark.
Did that and spark is orange no blue at all

Old 01-19-2016, 06:33 PM

Was it rhythmic, not erratic? Do you have jumper cables or a decent size battery charger? Spark needs to be blue, orange is weak, could be low battery from all the cranking lately.

Quick Reply: 99 Jimmy Wont start