2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Beginning Member
bryan101 is on a distinguished road
Default 99 won't start

Cranks fine, good spark, 62psi fuel pressure at fuel rail, new plugs, wires.

When I changed the plugs most of them were soaked with gas. If you pump the fuel pedal it acts like it wants to start but won't. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the spark timed correctly?

How is your pressure leak down rate?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Beginning Member

How can I tell if the spark is timed correctly?
I tested the fuel system and pressure and leak down is normal

Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can pop the distributor cap off, align the timing marks (plural - there are two on the balancer) and see where the rotor points. If you are at TDC #1 with both timing marks lined up, the rotor should be pointing at the mark in the distributor body. For further information & illustrations, check out the EDI Engine Timing thread in the Tech Article (DIY) section.

By saying that the leak down was normal that it did not fall below 55psi 10 minutes after the pump shutoff, correct?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Beginning Member

timing seems to be fine, I tried starting fluid but no change. It just cranks and cranks

Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Administrator

If starting fluid did not help, then you most likely have an ignition problem, either timing or lack of spark entirely. Pull a plug and hook the wire back up to it. Ground the bottom portion of the plug and have someone turn the engine over. Do you have spark?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Beginning Member

I am getting spark at the plugs, what's the best way to check the timing?

One more thing I would like to put out there, I recently changed the plugs, they weren't ac delco. It ran fine for a couple of days, pulled in into garage to charge the battery overnight. That's when the problem started. After I charged it, it wouldn't and hasn't started since. I have checked all fuses under the dash and under the hood and all appeared good. Thanks for the help, it is really appreciated.

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-21-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator

How does the spark look? Blue? White? Yellow?

Have you checked the plug gap?

Do you still have your old plugs? How did they look? The factory double platinum plugs last a LONG time.

As far as checking timing, you could attempt to use a standard induction timing light and dial in 10-20 degrees of advance which should get you in the ball park for starting.

The observation of gas soaked plugs points to an ignition system problem or a problem with fuel supply. Too much fuel rarely happens in the newer SCFI engines, but isn't impossible.

To diagnose an overly rich condition, remove the fuel pump relay from the underhood fuse box. Then turn the engine over. At some point, if spark is correct, it will fire. Then spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and reattach the intake duct work. Then attempt to start it again.

One thing to note is that if the intake duct is off the throttle body and the MAF sensor is still connected, the engine won't run. Disconnect the MAF sensor if you want the engine to run without the duct work attached to the throttle body.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Beginning Member

Ok, I will try that here in a bit and post back what I find out, thanks again

Old 12-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Beginning Member

UPDATE; changed the plugs, New AC Delco, still no start. Sprayed starting fluid in the intake, didn't hit at all. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 99 won't start