2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS and Brake Codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS and Brake Codes

I have been have this problem for a while with my 2003 Chevy Blazer 4x4. After about 6 months and stopping at an AutoZone to no avail. I decided to go to a dealer and found out they would read codes for free. So I did that and these and codes I got: C0241, C0242, C0245, C0251, C0252,C0265. Can someone give me insight in to this? It all appears it has something to do with EBCM. Replacing them is expensive, and I saw some places online can rebuilt the, but modulemaster.com claims there are some that can't be rebuilt. The top of mine looks like there Keysey-Haynes series 30 the bottom looks like a Keysey-Haynes 325. Oh dear, let it be a 325. How do I determine if I can rebuilt mine or if that is even the problem.

Last edited by kmartin; 06-08-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:49 PM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

not too familiar with them. But it definatly sounds like the EBCM is bad. Not having traction control or abs aint so bad right?lol

Old 06-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by AndrewO1991
not too familiar with them. But it definatly sounds like the EBCM is bad. Not having traction control or abs aint so bad right?lol
So what you trying to say? Hardly notice a difference in driving. As of now, the abs may more may not work. If it cost like $1000, just tempted to let it go. I just interested in the rebuilt service if that what it takes.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kmartin
I have been have this problem for a while with my 2003 Chevy Blazer 4x4. After about 6 months and stopping at an AutoZone to no avail. I decided to go to a dealer and found out they would read codes for free. So I did that and these and codes I got: C0241, C0242, C0245, C0251, C0252,C0265. Can someone give me insight in to this? It all appears it has something to do with EBCM. Replacing them is expensive, and I saw some places online can rebuilt the, but modulemaster.com claims there are some that can't be rebuilt. The top of mine looks like there Keysey-Haynes series 30 the bottom looks like a Keysey-Haynes 325. Oh dear, let it be a 325. How do I determine if I can rebuilt mine or if that is even the problem.
kmartin, I'm not familiar with those codes, but based on their sequence they are all chassis codes (start with C) and I think they're mostly ABS codes. This thread might have some info for you, but I don't see many of your codes listed. If it is the EBCM, you might be able to find a used one from a wrecker for a lot cheaper than a rebuilt. Also, many PnP and wreckers do offer a warranty so you can exchange it if the part doesn't work. Sorry I can't help more. If you're not comfortable replacing the EBCM yourself you may want to find a reputable mechanic to check things out for you.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
kmartin, I'm not familiar with those codes, but based on their sequence they are all chassis codes (start with C) and I think they're mostly ABS codes. This thread might have some info for you, but I don't see many of your codes listed. If it is the EBCM, you might be able to find a used one from a wrecker for a lot cheaper than a rebuilt. Also, many PnP and wreckers do offer a warranty so you can exchange it if the part doesn't work. Sorry I can't help more. If you're not comfortable replacing the EBCM yourself you may want to find a reputable mechanic to check things out for you.
Thanks for little more insite. I comfortable with removing the EBCM. What I am after is there something else that could be throwing these codes other that a faulty EBCM. My question is not really getting answered. So should I consider getting a professional diagnostic or not? I know its common for these EBCM to becoming faulty. So maybe I should go out on a limb and get the EBCM rebuild.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Do you have a detailed description of each trouble code? I'd want that before you tear into everything else. Make sure it's not just a bad hub or something else like that. If you can, post up what information you have found so far regarding your trouble codes and the symptoms you're experiencing. I don't have any direct knowledge here, but maybe someone else will chime in as you go. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2013, 03:15 PM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

C0241- The requested torque PWM signal is less than 5 percent duty cycle or greater than 95 percent duty cycle or The requested torque PWM signal is not present for 10 seconds.
C0242 - PCM Indicated TCS Malfunction
C0245- Wheel Speed Sensor Frequency Error
C0251- EBCM Control Valve Circuit
C0252- EBCM Control Valve Circuit (idk why they are the same)
C0265- EBCM relay/amplifier circuit open

it is unlikely for this many problems to be cause at once, it is most likely the EBCM. Code C0265 is a fault within the ECBM itself and would call for it to be replaced anyway.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM
40boy is on a distinguished road

I sent mine to someplace out West many years ago. Montana? Idaho?
I found it on Google. It was repaired and returned within a week.

No issues since. Worth it, for me. IIRC it was about $250 + shipping then.
Easy to R&R.
It's OK to drive without it. Just won't have ABS.
Cover the opening with tinfoil or saran wrap.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Starting Member

I don't have much more info. AndrewO1991 has posted about what I knew already except for some of the codes. Only noticeable symptoms is the abs and brake lights come on and stay on till you shut off the vehicle. When you go run it again it may or not come on. 40boy, you are probably thinking of Module Master. I decide to proceed with a module rebuild and after doing some research I am going with cheapabs.com. They have good reviews and they are close to me in Virginia, only about a day in ground shipping for me. Module Master I would need to send across the US. When I communicated to some of the rebuilders, they all indicated that I do have a Kelsey Hayes 325. That's a good start.

Last edited by kmartin; 06-12-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 AM
BF Veteran

Good luck and post up if it fixes all the problems when you're done.

Quick Reply: ABS and Brake Codes