2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS Hell...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough
Default ABS Hell...

2000 S10 Blazer, 2dr, 4x4... Here's the disaster:

When you are traveling at SLOW speeds, if you hit the brakes the ABS engages every time... without fail. I've actually ALMOST hit things because I have to let off the ABS and hit it again to get it to stop properly.

I have replaced BOTH Hub Bearings (where the ABS sensor is located) and its STILL doing it!

Any thoughts??

Old 08-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ABS Hell...

i never had problems with abs so i dont know much about it but could a bad relay or circuit breaker cause that?

Old 08-30-2007, 04:11 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

When you replaced the hubs, did you clean the sensors?

Also, make sure the wires aren't buggered up... Check the rears, as well...

Old 08-31-2007, 01:03 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

When did the problem start. Did you get a brake job? Have you installed aftermarket pads? Are there any ABS codes stored?
It's also possible that there maybe dirt on the sensors and the wiring can break near the connectors, like drperry said.
Is the brake fluid level low in the master cylinder?

Don't you hate when you ask a question and someone asks you 5 questions when you're just looking for an answer? (6 questions)

Old 08-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

From how the Chevy dealer explained it, the ABS sensors are PART of the hub bearings... you cannot separate them, so when you replace the hubs, you replace the sensors, brand new... not reused or cleaning needed.

The problem has been going on a few months now, with no luck in repairing it. The hub bearings were expensive to replace. one needed replacing anyway (was going bad) but the other would have been fine. The brake pads are over a year old and are fine still. When I bought the truck, these were the pads on it, and i didnt have this problem back then. No codes stored, no service light..nothing.

fluid level is fine in the master cylinder...

any other ideas? [>:]

Old 08-31-2007, 02:18 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I think the dealer was a little lost...

The sensor itself is not part of the hub, it screws into it... There's a metal ring on the hub that the sensor reads, that's what tells the vehicle how fast your wheels are spinning and if it needs to work the ABS...

I'll try and snap a pic of the wire, if I can find it, and show you what to look for... As soon as I get my lazy **** out of bed, and clean the muskeg out of it... lol

Old 08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What Sherry stated is true. When the wheel bearing gets replaced, so does the sensor. So if the bearing is new, so is the sensor.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:56 PM
BF Veteran

ahhh

My bad, must be the connector and/or wire that's having issues... Hopefully, at least, then it's a cheap, easy fix...

Old 09-01-2007, 02:20 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Ok, just guessing now but maybe the rear wheel speed sensor is out of calibration and sees a different speed than the front sensors. A mechanic should be able to hook up a scan tool and moniter all the sensors on a road test and watch closely for a difference of speed at each sensor.

Are allyour tires the same size, you don't have a spare or something different on?

You still didn't say when the problem started, was it after some kind of service work?

Old 10-20-2007, 02:06 PM
keifer56 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey ,,having trouble w/my ' 01 ABS ,,scanned it & got 10 codes ,,removed the r.front sensor ,,(scan told me that 1 ) ,,& cleaned & replaced it w/1 i had from an old hub. got it 2 only show 1 code ,,EBCM Relay Circuit ,,, now i'm trying 2 find out where the relay circuit is ,,???

Quick Reply: ABS Hell...