2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS issue... Serious or not.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Akira is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS issue... Serious or not.

ABS light keeps comming on when I shift from reverse to drive. I've checked all the wheel sensors and fuses including the sensor wires. It's the oddest thing too...when I shift from R to D I'll drive forward about 15 to 20 ft. then it seems like something catches in the drive train, stops catching then the light comes on. The light never comes on if I'm in reverse.The light won't go off again until I shut the truck off. I don't lose any braking ability, including the function of the ABS itself (believe me, I tried). I'm wondering if this is serious or not. Since I'm a single father with a 4 year old daughter living on my own, the $$$ is alwaysan issueand I need to keeps things inexpensive but also keep me and my daughter safe (that's why I bought this truck and got rid of my '90 Integra). Open opinions (so far) are as follows:

1. Air in the brake lines. Take the truck in and have the brake system pressure flushed instead of trying to DIY. (Friend with mechanical experience)
2. Faulty wiring from the sensors. Even though the wiring looks OK, the wiring could still be faulty. Use a meter to check for continuity. The wiring gets moved around every time you turn the wheel and could lead to broken wires that you can't see. Have sensors available at $260 each. (Parts guy at auto parts store)
3.Daddy, can I havepizza for breakfast? (daughter)
4.A faulty hub assembly.What is catching is the steel sensor wheel that is supposed to spin, is getting hung up and causing the error code and the ABS light. Recheck the hubs and make sure the CV nuts are tight since the CV shaftpasses thru the sensor ring located in the hub. (father of friend with mechanical experience)
5. I don't know! Hey, why don't you ask those people in those chat rooms where the pedophiles meet little kids. (father who doesn't believe in the internet)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-08-2007, 07:38 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ABS issue... Serious or not.

ORIGINAL: Akira

3.Daddy, can I havepizza for breakfast? (daughter)
Now that is Priceless

As for the ABS, goto the local part store and have them pull the ABS codes. This will speed up the trouble shooting.
The ODBII code reader they have will pull the ABS codes also. If you look under the forums there is a DIY for some models that you can still do jumper wires. But the ODBII code reader will give you more direct information.
If the part store does not have one or wont do it for free. Your local dealership will do it for a fee of $20 (well most of the ones I deal with will).

Good luck

Old 01-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Akira is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ABS issue... Serious or not.

ABS issue again.... where is the ABS sensor for the rear end? Both the front ABS sensors are fine but I was told that the rear might be gunked up and that's why the ABS light keeps comming on all the time.