2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Beginning Member
slaughterbaby is on a distinguished road
Default ABS replacement

I unfortunately have ABS in my truck. 1998 s10 blazer. I'm wondering if there is a way to just get rid of the ABS system and replace it with a brake system that is not ABS. I wouldnt know what it would be.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I did it in my 1st gen model (92'). All i did was get the front brake lines from a 88 s10 pickup and proportioning valve from a non abs. but with yours having all wheel disk brakes (i think?) It may not work for you.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Remove the ABS fuse in the underhood fuse panel. The amber ABS light on the dash will illuminate and the ABS system will be disabled.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member

as far as taking the fuse out. that will disable the abs system but will it stop my brakes from working entirely on the front or will it just be like a non ABS system?

Thanks for the advice both of you. Captain hook i might try your idea cus i dont feel like taking my baby down for an extended period.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The hydraulic system will function as if the vehicle didn't have ABS. You'll still have front and rear brakes, the ABS pump will not turn on if one or more wheels lose traction while stopping.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member

one more important question. since i was told my problem might be VSS (vehicle speed sensor) which is located in a messed up hub on my truck, when i turn right i can hear a faint to loud whining in the front end and my brakes grind when pressed, could that possibly be my ABS system trying to kick in when not needed. If thats not my problem then i see no use in removing anything i might just need to go ahead and just replace it sooner than later

Old 09-28-2011, 07:37 PM

There are 3 speed sensors on your vehicle: One in each front hub assembly (4WD) and one in the output shaft housing of the transmission, (actually in the transfer case on 4WD). GM has a Technical Service Bulletin, (TSB) out addressing a problem with the front sensors being pushed away from the tone ring inside the hub caused by rust build up under the sensor. When this happens, the ABS can activate while applying the brakes below about 5MPH. Is this what you're experiencing?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Beginning Member

No. it can be at varying speeds, anywhere from 5mph to 55mph its gotten once to where it made a grinding noise and i had no brakes what so ever. I then slammed my brake peddal and it finally stopped in the middle of the 4 way YAY. I can only explain my issue as a grinding at mainly any speed with a pull to the left as if the right caliper is either not grabbing or the brakes are not catching a signal. The distinctive traits i can say are a constant are the whine from under the hood which will occur before i push the brakes. I can hear it when im not applying the brakes and my Emergency brake light will sometimes come on. At that point if i apply the brakes it makes a grinding noise and front brakes cease to work. I am assuming at the moment that the only reason i havent died is because my rear brakes are catching normally. The noise is my only constant factor as of the moment. Speed, direction of tires, and most other factors are not a constant factor.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Have you pulled the wheels off and checked the front brakes?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Beginning Member

yeah did that tuesday. i see no brake line leaks. just the usual hub leaks which i knew about. brakes are almost brand new. the calipers and rotors seem to be in fine condition no cutting or uneven wear on the rotors or leaking from the calipers. I do a lot of maintenance on it myself so if there were anything unusual i dont see myself missing something that major. If there could possibly be an internal defect in the brake system i would understand that. It seems to be one of those you would have to be there to hear it situations. Like i said ill try your solution of pulling the fuse. Should i pull the one in the fuse relay under the hood or 9inside the truck.

Quick Reply: ABS replacement