2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 07:24 AM
Starting Member
donald_archer is on a distinguished road
Default ABS sensors

Hey Good morning

I have 2 bad ABS sensors on my front wheels.
I know that I can just pull the fuse which I may end up doing however I would like to fix them permanently. Is it possible to just change the sensor and cable or does one have to change the entire hub. if the hub is the answer do I need a front wheel alignment afterwards.

The hubs themselves are a little under 180.00 CDN$ each

Thanks

Don

Old 01-21-2020, 08:12 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by donald_archer
Hey Good morning

I have 2 bad ABS sensors on my front wheels.
I know that I can just pull the fuse which I may end up doing however I would like to fix them permanently. Is it possible to just change the sensor and cable or does one have to change the entire hub. if the hub is the answer do I need a front wheel alignment afterwards.

The hubs themselves are a little under 180.00 CDN$ each

Thanks

Don
For the ABS activating when not supposed to at slow speeds, on mine I was able to remove the sensors, clean up the rust underneath them that had developed, and reinstall them with some special anti-rust gun grease (RIG). See factory tech bulletin on this. Still fine 5 years later. If you remove or replace the sensors take great care to meticulously clean around it (toothbrush and solvent or carb cleaner before removal and then not get junk down the sensor hole. After cleaning and carefully removing the sensor, I packed the hole level with a tight plug of twisted paper towel before scraping rust off sensor mounting surface. Afterwards grabbed the paper towel plug with needle nose pliers and any rust scrapings were drug out with the plug. Some bearings may have been previously replaced with non-serviceable sensors - in that case you have little choice. Good luck and best wishes for a successful repair.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:31 PM
Starting Member
donald_archer is on a distinguished road

Thank you Les for the info. Worth giving it a shot. Also saw a couple of videos on YouTube, does not look too hard

Think I will order 2 sensors from RockAuto and replace them in the spring

Thanks again

Old 01-22-2020, 02:34 AM
e280te is on a distinguished road

What resistance should a good ABS sensor have?

Old 01-22-2020, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by e280te
What resistance should a good ABS sensor have?
Resistance is futile!

They generate an AC voltage when you spin the wheel. See attached TSB for testing.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ABS TSB.pdf (34.5 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-22-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:51 AM

I understand ...
but I mean the resistance of the ABS sensor to determine if it is working ... the ABS indicator on the cluster lights up. the sensor looks like new - maybe it's faulty. maybe it is too far from the rack - what is the distance between the sensor and the gear?

Old 01-22-2020, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by e280te
I understand ...
but I mean the resistance of the ABS sensor to determine if it is working ... the ABS indicator on the cluster lights up. the sensor looks like new - maybe it's faulty. maybe it is too far from the rack - what is the distance between the sensor and the gear?
Sorry, but apparently you don't understand. Read the service bulletin I posted. this is factory info.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-22-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:29 AM

OK - I see that English may be a second language for you (Poland). I'll try to explain more precisely.

The functional test for the sensor is to check for more than 350 AC millivolts output with a digital volt-ohm meter, while rotating the tire (not resistance measurement).

Good luck and best wishes for a successful repair. If you would like additional help to repair your ABS, I invite you to start your own thread on the topic.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-22-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:27 AM

you cleared my head now I understand and I'll start with that

Old 01-23-2020, 09:17 AM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

I replaced just the sensor on my 04 after the wire chaffed through against the upper control arm... I actually used the sensor from an early 2000's Silverado from the junk yard. Same sensor head and same plug, the wire is just about 6" longer, which I actually liked because it let me route it a little different and out of the way of anything that will chafe on it again. All I had to do was transfer the little mounting brackets/tabs from the Blazer one over to it. It's been on it for about 4 years now and hasn't given me an issue since.

FYI, pulling your ABS fuse disables your cruise control lol

Quick Reply: ABS sensors