2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS Speed Sensor Wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default ABS Speed Sensor Wire

Not too long after I bought my truck, I severed my ABS speed sensor wire on the front passenger's side. My brother stripped the wires back, soldered them together, heat shrank the wire and electrical taped the outside. It seems that the amount of wire he used to strip back caused me to lose all slack and it must've been too tight because it has severed again. It was a good quick fix because it lasted almost a year now. But I suppose it's finally time to actually replace the wire. A quick search on Advance Auto online shows these. Do I have to replace the speed sensor, or can I get away with just the wire? Am I looking at the pigtail or just the connector?

Here are some pics for those visual people like myself:

And I'm assuming I will have to cut the OEM wire to install anything new? Please help!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ABS Speed Sensor Wire

I'd extend the wires. Basically do the exact same thing you did before, but solder in new sections of wire to extend the harness.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Ted
Beginning Member
Ted is an unknown quantity at this point

Note that if you don't have exact match wire you can go larger for the extra piece. I would not go smaller.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Beginning Member
UrbanOffRoader is an unknown quantity at this point

This happens to me all the time. What I ended up doing was using a length ofwire, and re-routing it along the brake hose.

A few wire ties lightly holding it in place stopped the problem from happening.

I'm still not sure why GM leaves so much slack in these things. They will almost always rub on your wheel.