2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Beginning Member
epederson is on a distinguished road
Question AC Problems

Good Morning,

I need to determine if I have a two fold issue. I've just replaced my air temperature actuator, it doesn't seem to work properly. I have tried 3 brand new parts with all the same problem. With the power supply attached and I start my truck, the actuator turns to one side and will not move anymore. It doesn't matter what positions the controls are in. ex: AC or Heater mode, different positions on the air flows.

Is there some kind of diagram or a way test if the dash electronic heater/ac control is working properly?

The actuator is bad because the largest or main gear is busted.

Any suggestions??

Old 05-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you disconnect the battery before you started the work? If so, the first thing that the actuator should do is go through and learn its limits. It should cycle in both directions until it encounters resistance. It will cycle back and forth a few times.

Has the gear broken on each of the actuators?

Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Beginning Member
Red face No to Battery Disconnect.

No, I didn't realize that I needed to disconnect my battery. I believe this is what your saying :

I need to disconnect battery and actually install part, because it needs the resistance to sort of self program its range?

Have I damaged the actuator by plugging the power supply in with battery connected. I was trying to short-cut or make sure the parted before I re-installed. I imagine that you know how tight the work space.

Thanks
Eric

Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would try disconnecting the battery, installing the actuator, and then reconnecting the battery.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Beginning Member
Default Still not working

Good Afternoon,

I disconnected my battery and re-installed my actuator and reconnected the battery. The first time I started and drove car, a/c was blowing hot air. 2nd time started , a/c started working, it was blowing 61 degrees. I put my dash back together in which I took way to much off and now this a/c is back to blowing only hot air.

Is their something else I should be check?

Thanks
Eric

Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member
Unhappy Ac still broken, but differently

Good Morning,

I have a 98 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer and I have recently replaced the air temperature actuator because the internal gears were broken. I thought I damaged that part because I tested it without the part being properly installed.

Now this, is the strangist thing. While the truck is in park, the ac will not blow cold air, but while driving down the road, ac will blow ac as cold as 61 degrees.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should look next?

Thanks
Eric

Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Wiring shorts...? That kind of problem is not going to be fun to diagnose.

Do you have the automatic temperature control?

Also, did the actuator cycle properly to its limits after the initial install?

BTW, I have combined your threads on the subject. It helps for people to read through past descriptions and recommendations...

Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, I do have automatic temperature control, if that means the dials & buttons that control a/c, heater, vent directions, etc...

I'm not sure if the actuator cycled properly. Here's a Dumb question. How would I be able to tell?

Thanks for bringing my threads together.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Administrator

You have ATC (automatic temperature control) if you can set a temperature as well as set the mode to 'Auto'. If you do not have numbers around the temperature **** on the controls, then you do not have ATC.

Did you hear it cycle after restoring battery power and turning the key to the RUN position?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member
BaLListic_Evo is on a distinguished road

this is where I am at and it sounded like it cycles one direction and just seems to keep going perhaps a broken gear? I still dont understand why after a batter disconnect it would do this

Quick Reply: AC Problems