2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AD244 alternator swap belt MADNESS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:12 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough
Angry AD244 alternator swap belt MADNESS

I'm at my wits end now with this... and I'm just curious if anyone else has ever had these kinds of issues trying to get a belt to fit after installing an AD244 alternator.

For my 2004 4.3, the Gates belt is K060950, so that's what I bought at the time before I planned on doing the alternator swap. That belt is 95.585 inches long. Now from what I read, and looking at the alternators it makes since, you need a larger belt to run this alternator, like an inch or so larger. So I wasn't surprised when the belt was too small even with the tensioner turned all the way the first time when I went to put it on after installing the alternator.

So I go back to the parts store and swap it out for a K060960, 96.580 inches long, roughly 1 in inch longer. Go to put it on, and without even touching the tensioner, the belt flops right on and is EXTREMELY loose!

So I'm thinking okay, maybe something in the middle will work? So I take another trip up to the parts store and swap it for a K060956, 96.081 inches long. Guess what... STILL too long...

So again, I take yet ANOTHER trip back to the parts store thinking maybe, JUST maybe, that original belt that I got that's sized for the truck was boxed wrong. So I swap it out and go back to the first size that, remember now, was originally too small. Go to put it on, and without even touching the tensioner the stupid thing slides on and is floppy!!!

Now, it's worth mentioning that I also put a new AC compressor on the truck at the same time. So is there a chance that the new compressor has a smaller pulley and that's what's throwing me off? I'm going to get a belt that's a full 1.5 inches or so smaller tomorrow and see where I am with that...

Name:  IMG_20140510_184221.jpg
Views: 8064
Size:  2.21 MB

Old 05-12-2014, 12:29 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If the tensioner is still good, then I'd just go with smaller until one fits well. It's weird for sure, but as long as it gets the job done I don't see the issue. Just make sure you remember which part # it is for next time.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:32 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to say that the Rock Auto on line parts catalog is good about listing the lengths of their various offerings of serp. belts. It mainly points out the big diff. in belt lengths is with AC and without AC, not the diff in alternators and pulleys. But it may give you a belt length that is right size.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Double check that you are routing it the correct way. I had to change belts on my sunfire the other weekend and the belt was way too long.... because I messed up the routing.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 PM

yeah it turns out that I'm just retarded...

swapped out for a belt that's 1.5 inches longer than stock, and low and behold once I routed it CORRECTLY, it fit like stock

there's no belt routing diagram left under the hood of the truck, and the Chilton's is useless, just tells you to refer to the sticker under the hood...

needless to say, I got it now lol

Attached Thumbnails AD244 alternator swap belt MADNESS-img_20140512_184618.jpg  
Old 05-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

haha, glad you got it figured out

Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Wow you learned two lessons in one. Auto parts places can measure belt length for you cause it is a possibility that it was a reboxing problem. A one inch longer belt is able to go around a pully that is 1/2inch further away. Two;Chiltons manual are good for wrapinf stale fish.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:54 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Great photo's of the engine, BTW!. Very clean engine, I might add.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
Great photo's of the engine, BTW!. Very clean engine, I might add.
thanks just pulled the intake off and replaced a lot of stuff in the process, use to not look near that clean lol

build thread here

https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...rebuild-85558/

Old 05-13-2014, 07:34 PM
05canjimmy is on a distinguished road

wow very very clean bay. mine is disgusting because of oil coating every fall before winter

Quick Reply: AD244 alternator swap belt MADNESS