2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Add remote door lock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 07:19 AM
puttster is on a distinguished road
Default Add remote door lock?

Is there a 3rd party gadget available that could give me a remote lock for my 2002 Blaze? Maybe something cheap, with certain success?
I have power locks now, set up so if you lock (with a key) the drivers or the rear door, or hit the power locks button, all three doors lock.
Instead of going out there, I'd like to push a button on a remote while I'm still in the house. Okay, call me lazy!

Last edited by puttster; 11-13-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:43 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

If you're looking for something cheap, it doesn't get much cheaper than this.

I'm sure similar kits are available on Amazon and ebay.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:41 PM

Thanks! . What I'd like is to install in the liftgate. It looks like there will be an orange always-on power there since the key will lock/unlock all three locks. Does that sound right?
Here is a diagram from my Chilton's, not really a reliable source.

Last edited by puttster; 11-14-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:40 AM

Okay, I got the plastic panel off the rear hatch and peeked in. Not what I expected. Connected to the actuator are four wires, black(ish), purple, white, gray. I think I should leave those alone.
Connected to the key switch are four wires, Red, Black, Green, Blue. Would it be fair to say one is power, one is ground, one is lock, one is unlock? And that those four should be spliced into and out of the controller via eight wires? And than I'll have a remote lock for all the doors?

Has anyone taken the hatch door sheet metal or the key switch apart? It looks pretty complicated, lots of screws and maybe rivets and I think I have already snapped two plastic tabs. I want a remote lock but not at the expense of a non-working hatch. Maybe pulling a front door panel would be easier after all. Thoughts?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal...kaAnoDEALw_wcB

Last edited by puttster; 11-20-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:09 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
If you're looking for something cheap, it doesn't get much cheaper than this.

I'm sure similar kits are available on Amazon and ebay.
I put one of these kits in my 2001 Corolla. Converted it from manual windows and locks to power windows and locks with junk yard parts. In combination with this kit, it worked like a charm. The one I bought looks like it used the same control box, but the remotes looked different. They actually just looked like the ones that out 2010 Elantra uses. Wasn't super hard to hook up, especially since I already was running the harness and wires for the power conversion, so I already knew where the wires were that I had to tap into. I've since given the car to the mother in law, and as far as I know the system is still working just find, and it's been 3 or 4 years now.

Originally Posted by puttster
Has anyone taken the hatch door sheet metal or the key switch apart? It looks pretty complicated, lots of screws and maybe rivets and I think I have already snapped two plastic tabs. I want a remote lock but not at the expense of a non-working hatch. Maybe pulling a front door panel would be easier after all. Thoughts?
I did a fairly in depth how to on fixing the rear button some time back, and I go through the processes of digging into the rear lid.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...-repair-85861/

Old 11-14-2020, 06:06 PM

Holy cow, what a great write up! It's given me a lot of confidence to go ahead and open her up. I. Just wish I had read there was a center screw on the plastic panel before I pulled it off :-(
i see your button has a black and green wire. My 02 has those plus red and blue. What do they all do?

Broken center screw bracket and also one of the handle supports.

Last edited by puttster; 11-21-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:42 PM

My module came in and the instructions are mostly useless. Does anyone know what the wires going to the rear hatch switch do? There are four of them, Red, Blue, Green, Black.
I'm thinking one wire is a (1) always-on power because when you turn the key, it sends either a Lock (2) or an Unlock (3) signal to the other locks. And a ground (4). That is just a guess. But which is which?

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. Instead of splicing the remote into the switch wires, I should be splicing it into the actuator wires? Would that be better?

2002 2dr

Last edited by puttster; 11-18-2020 at 11:34 PM. Reason: 2dr
Old 11-21-2020, 08:02 AM

Still looking for wiring suggestions for my hatch lock.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal...mpaign_id=9383
this is the module i have, just don't know how or where to wire it in. Switch or actuator? which wires are the triggers, hot, ground? any help before i start cutting will be appreciated!

Old 11-21-2020, 10:16 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Hopefully these will help you.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Power Door Locks.pdf (76.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf
Tailgate.pdf (65.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:57 AM

I finally took off the panel like Blazen said and ... hey, somebody switched wires on me at the switch! Originally was Orange, white-black, Lt blue,White. Okay, now on to step 2.

Attached Thumbnails Add remote door lock?-blazer-hatch-switch.jpg  

Quick Reply: Add remote door lock?