2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

adding antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Beginning Member
walkingcrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default adding antifreeze

I was running straight water in the rad for the last few months after replacing the water pump and heater core.

Its getting colder here so I drained the rad and the overflow jug. I then added 6 quarts dexcoolto the rad and overflow jug. Will the straight antifreeze in the overflow jug transfer and mix with the straight water in the engine block with normal driving? ie will I have a 50 50 mix?

Thanks

WC

Old 11-23-2008, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: adding antifreeze

Did you drive it alot with just water in the coolant system?

And no it wont mix that fast...that overflow tank is just that...overflow. it only fills and cycles as much as the coolant expands from being hot and if you lose any through leaks or boil off. Why not just drain the system and fill properly?

Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Beginning Member

Probably a couple months with just water, maybe 500 miles.

I thought I was doing it the right way, I assumed it wouldcycle through and mix. Maybe I can get a tester from one of the local parts stores? At this point it may be cheaper than buying antifreeze again. I still have a couple quarts so I can drain out the rad and add straight antifreeze if the mixture is low.

WC

Old 11-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you put 6 quarts into the radiator, that would make a good mix for the engine/radiator. Wolf is correct that the coolant in the overflow bottle will not be circulated much. I would pull the overflow bottle, drain it, and mix up some 50/50 coolant to fill it back up.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Beginning Member

I wasn't very clear. I used 6 quarts between the rad and the overflow. I think the overflow may still be 100%dexcool.

Thanks

WC

Old 11-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok.. Gotcha. Well then, you probably are quite under mixed in the engine/radiator then. The cooling system capacity is 11.5 quarts so typically 6 quarts is a good number to put into the radiator after doing a flush. You should drain as much out of the radiator as you can and add everything that you put into the overflow bottle.