2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

after a day or so, wont start...?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Beginning Member
xlilracinangelx is on a distinguished road
Angry after a day or so, wont start...?!

if im posting this wrong, I apologize. I have a 96 GMC Jimmy 4.3 4wd. my problem first started when the key was getting hard to turn, so we switched out the ignition lock cylinder (where i put my key into to turn) ... after that, no start. getting fuel and spark. cranks just won't turn over. brand new battery, starter, and spark plugs. after about a month, decided 'what the heck'... tried it again and it randomly started up! since finally starting, it starts up fine! now where I'm having my issue is that after a day or so without being started, it does it again (cranks wont turn over) ... about a month or so later, takes a few tries, but starts! as long as I remember to start it up every day its fine but when it goes a day or two without starting, it does this to me every time! any advice or help please?! thank you : )

Last edited by xlilracinangelx; 01-29-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

You say its getting fuel but is it getting the correct volume of fuel? you need to do all the fuel system checks to see if the pump pressure is good and the regulated pressure is also within spec. test pressure at the gauge port at the manifold and test max pump pressure at the fuel filter outlet and let us know what you've found.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Beginning Member

we already used the fuel pressure gauge to check all of that, everything was perfect (boyfriends buddys works at a shop and helped us out) but noone ive asked can understand why it does this? #stumped I thought maybe the computer/brain or something had to be reset, maybe?

Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Is the SECURITY light on or flashing when you try to start it? Replacing the lock cylinder & key will cause the Passlock system to disable the injectors if it doesn't recognize the key, which if it's a new key, it won't.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:48 PM
Beginning Member

That's what I figured ... tried turning the key on for 15 minutes, 3 times, then try to start (to reset the computer?) Didnt really seem to work. do you know what would fix that problem?

Old 01-31-2015, 09:47 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the security light is on, here's the deal. If it's not on, the security system is not the problem.

From the factory, the security system is programmed to recognize two keys. There is a procedure, (usually outlined in the owners manual) to add more keys. One of the original keys must be used to turn the ignition to the RUN position to initiate the learning process. This will require reinstalling the original lock cylinder. If neither of the two original keys will turn to the RUN position, the security system will need to be reprogrammed using a Tech2 scanner with the appropriate software, (GM dealer).

Old 02-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Beginning Member

I definitely thought that was the cause since I didnt have this problem until the switch... but i dont see a security light flashing.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:51 PM

The vehicle has some sort of security system from the factory. 1996 might be called PasskeyII, I can't keep all of them straight, (PasskeyI, PasskeyII, Passlock, etc) If there is a security light in the instrument cluster, (provided it works) it should illuminate with the bulb check when you initially turn the ignition to the RUN position, before you start the engine.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Beginning Member

hard to see, but using my flash, you can barely see where is says 'security' above the antilock light on the cluster board.
[IMG][/IMG]

but when turning the key to the RUN position, this is what illuminates - security doesnt illuminate at all. also doesnt blink or anything afterwards.

[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails after a day or so, wont start...?!-20150202_121659_zpsxzkxncxg.jpg   after a day or so, wont start...?!-20150202_121517_zpsr5d2khjm.jpg  
Old 02-02-2015, 12:14 PM

In the 2nd image, the bulb should light up like the others. Now we know the bulb is out, but it still doesn't tell us if the security system is definitely the problem or not. Might be an LED or a bulb, and the cluster has to come out to repair it either way. Or it could be a problem with the security indicating system not working. If it's a bulb it's easy, but if it's an LED it needs to be desoldered from the circuit board and a new one soldered in. You can do one of two things: Replace the bulb/LED, (figure out why the light doesn't come on) or continue looking for a problem that might not exist.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-02-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: after a day or so, wont start...?!