2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AIR BAG light on????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 PM
rob1621 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AIR BAG light on????

so i took out the steering columb because it got in the way of redoing some of my suspension on my 2000 blazer lt 4x4 and i put it all together right and everything but the AIRBAG light came on, anybody know why?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: AIR BAG light on????

try disconnecting the battery for a few hours then reconnect. BE CAREFUL if you drive it because with the light on the air bag may go off at anytime.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Beginning Member
silvers10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would actualy take the airbag out until you think you can get it figured out, not only is it a hazard if it goes off but it will do some damage to your windshield if it deploys

Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Beginning Member
silvers10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was reading the repair manual and it says anytime you remove the steering comlumb you have to pull the airbag fuse out and unplug the yellow Connector Position Assurance (CPA) located behind the knee bolster and sound insulator panel, below the instrument panel...

Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: blazin97

try disconnecting the battery for a few hours then reconnect. BE CAREFUL if you drive it because with the light on the air bag may go off at anytime.
correction on that....when the airbag light is on..or not on in this case..the problem is the airbag my not function in case of an accident...not that it will go off at any time...and as silvers said..you always need to take out the fuse...all yellow wires are strictly for airbags...I would suggest you take it in and have the system diagnosed....it could be something as simple as a wire or a fuse...but better off having some one who knows the system playing with the wires...accidental airbag deployment is definitely a hazard..

Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 PM

ok so i talked to a guy about it and he said that if you turn the steering wheel so many times with out the steering columb, that some kid of spring breaks inside the car and this causes the light to come on, and no air bag will deploy incase of accident. Does anybody have any expirience with this? How do i fix it?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have broken the clock spring (the electrical connection device that allows the steering wheel mounted electrical devices to receive power and communicate with the rest of the vehicle), then you need to replace the clock spring assembly.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:14 PM

how hard is it to install that spring? where can i get it?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe this is going to be a dealer item:
Clockspring
Without Accessory Control 26087310
With Accessory Control 26087312

You could check with GMPartsDirect.com or Parts4Chevys.com. I'd go with Parts4Chevys.com if you want to get it sometime soon.

Are you sure that is your problem? Did you spin the wheel while it was disconnected? Are you sure that you got everything reconnected?

As far as the replacement, you must remove the airbag module, the steering wheel, and then the clockspring.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 PM

well im not 100% sure if this is the probelm but i was talking to a mechanic and he said he's sure. But what should i do to make sure its that 100% thats its broken? can i do it myself or take it to a mechanic?

Quick Reply: AIR BAG light on????