2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

air pump part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:31 PM
k0rupt_ed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default air pump part 2

well i had the blaz jacked up todaay and found the easiest way for me to access the air injection is from taking the oil filter cover completely off, man what a ****ty place to put that friggen thing.. so my question is in cleaning it i should take those torx screws off the plastic housing and the 5th in the middle to clean it? and also should i take the pump completely off to do this or is it easier to leave it on, i dont want to take it off im a little wary about all the hoses and wires coming out of the thing

Old 05-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Default RE: air pump part 2

Well last night as the day cooled off I jacked up the truck again and pulled the pump off

Yeecchh thing was nasty all the crap in it (dripped on my friggen face too.. ) and found that the impeller blade was actualy seized and locked in place from the grime, would not move for anything.. Took some spray and sprayed the crap out of it and took a drill and put the tip of it in the chuck and it was spinnin fairly well after a hour, cleaned all the plastic housings with some brake cleaner tho. I was a little wary of taking that solenoid apart, I didnt want anything to get messed up, anyone do it before? it coulduse a cleanin.. also there something better i can use instead of that crappy foam filter?

Result:
Started it up, took it for a spin and it stretched all the horses under the hood, was runnin like a real champ like when we first got it.

Then this mornin I'm drivin and it was doing it again wtf! its clean why the hell would it be bogging down again I can't understand it.. I spent two hours on the dam thingand this is the thanks I get lol. I think im gonna put that drain hole in it either today or tomorow too.. grr
Replaced the fan belt while I was at it, its about time 90k on the odo.

Hehe had to park in front of it when I went home.. twins

Old 05-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The air pump is an emissions only device. It is supposed to extend the life and up the efficiency of the catalytic converter. It won't have any affect on the engine's performance.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:45 PM

Cause
Under high engine speed and load conditions, hot exhaust gasses may leak past the air check valves. As the exhaust gasses in the air tube cool, water vapors collect into the AIR pump. As the vehicle is driven, condensation from the AIR pump may come into contact with the Mass Airflow Sensor through the AIR inlet hose. This condition may cause a hesitation on acceleration and may also set the DTCs.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:48 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Cause
Under high engine speed and load conditions, hot exhaust gasses may leak past the air check valves. As the exhaust gasses in the air tube cool, water vapors collect into the AIR pump. As the vehicle is driven, condensation from the AIR pump may come into contact with the Mass Airflow Sensor through the AIR inlet hose. This condition may cause a hesitation on acceleration and may also set the DTCs.
Where'd this come from? I've never seen any engine have a performance issue caused by a secondary air injection system. It is VERY common in these Blazers that the AIR pump gets water in it, and seizes up and blows the fuse, the fuse is beside the battery in thefender (30A maxi-fuse). There's even a TSB to fix it and prevent future problems. You replace the pump and install a new inlet hose that is rerouted up by the battery to keep it from sucking in water. Honestly, I don't see how it's possible for the air pump to get water into the MAF sensor. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:33 PM

never seen a performance issue? the car has no go dude its runnin like it has a anchor attatched to it.

Can u link me to this tsb?

on another note its just the morning cold starts (when the pumpbgoes on where it pulls this ****) hot starts truck runs fine

Old 05-26-2007, 08:48 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

there is no way the secondary AIR injection pump is causing this.....I'll try to get you a copy paste of the TSB, but you need to have this thing checked by a pro...

Old 05-26-2007, 11:34 PM

sigh.. it is causing it i have had it checked out by a mech and they want 500 just for the godam thing and after i cleaned the pump and freed the impeller blade there was as considerable (whats the word...) in the pick up and kick down of the truck, it is in no doubt that pump. we are on the same page here right? cuz i've heard people with that pump have the same problems.

Gonna drill the drainage holes in the bitch monday..dam SES light came on on my way home tonight, grr its runnin pretty good 2night too, I'll check the code tomorow to see what the case is.

Getting close to do the ol' chevy technique of beating it with the hammer...

-and thanks last for searching for that tsb.

Edit: anyone know how to eliminate this thing? I want to do it the right day, just a matter of pluggin the holes in the exaust manifold right? and re-prog. the ecm...

Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 PM

Update: So today we pulled it apart again and it had some moisture and suck built up, cleaned it up drilled the holes in it, 2 in the back plastic peice and one in the rubber boot.

The next thing we did was put the breather filter (15 dollar filter at autozone) at the end of the air inlet hose and zip tied it to the a/c hose so its facing up and out of the way. The bottom is shielded so nothing can come up at it either.

Got rid of the stupid foam filter inside too.. thing was shot.

So took it for the test drive and its running quiet well no codes this time either, I'm rather pleased

I hope this helps someone out there too I tried to be as informative on this as can be and provide pictures with this to help out.

Pump can be accessed through the oil filter cover (must remove it) and then its on your passenger side frame rail sitting there. Good luck anyone else doing this project, its not to bad. I used some brake cleaner to clean and heavy duty greaser to get the impeller moving again. Oh and a drill to spin it hehe.