2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Airconditioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:46 PM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road
Default Airconditioning

Were would I find the AC condenser drain so I can clean it out on a 2003 blazer L/S 4.3 liter S 10 4 door.
A little help here if anyone knows this answer could you help out a newbie.I haven't seen any water coming out from under the car and still no wet carpets but want to clean it before trouble starts.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 05-09-2015 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Need help finding it before it causes trouble.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The condenser is in front of the radiator, no drain for it. The evaporator is in the dash, and the condensate drain is under the housing, directly above the frame, near the starter. Don't use anything metal to clean the drain, it may puncture the evaporator, and it's not a fun job to replace it A small diameter plastic drinking straw works well.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:10 PM

Thank you Captain Hook now to clean the drain will be easy thanks to you P/S the AC works awesome since I replaced the compressor but if its not very humid will the accumulator still drip when the AC is in use or does it have to be humid to cause moister to drip steady out the accumulator drain.I noticed to day the accumulator wasn't real wet like it is when the drain is dripping real good.It was like 78 degrees here in Washington but it was a dry not humid day,so does that make a difference because the fact is for two hot days now there wasn't any accumulation of moister in the drain tube or on the accumulator but last year it worked fine,I will try your method of the straw use and some light compressed air carefully if you think that might help to clean out the drain.But like I said it may be working fine it may just not be humid enough to cause water to drain out of the drain.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 05-09-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The accumulator and the evaporator are very close to the same temperature. The accumulator is exposed to ambient humidity all the time. Underhood temperature is higher than ambient temperature so it will sweat more than the evaporator. The evaporator is not exposed to ambient humidity in the MAX AC position. As a result, once the humidity is removed from the cabin, it will not drip nearly as much.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:59 PM

Ok Captain jacked the car up more then enough to use creeper to roll under the car even took & supported it with two 12 ton jack stands a little over kill on the stands but I got a good deal on all four. also took off the passenger wheel to get even better look at the evaporator cabin and while under the car got real clear look at the cabin housing the evaporator is in while the car was running with the ac on regular not max all the water was coming out of the evaporator cabin it looks to be a two piece plastic cabin and in the crack down the middle is were the water was coming from and a plastic straw would clean that out quite well. If it were clogged So again Captain Hook if that was what you meant by a drain or slit that the straw would work in quite well.Thank you for your help on the situation.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 05-10-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:08 PM

There is a drain molded into the plastic housing, fairly close to the firewall. Maybe 3/8" in diameter, and sticks down maybe 1/4". Very difficult to see unless you use a mirror, and know right where to look, but it's there

Old 05-11-2015, 12:40 AM

Captain Hook
Is this drain on the plastic housing between the firewall and the evaporator housing because I didn't see anything like that on the bottom of the cabin and I had a clear look at it like I said it was leaking through the cabin housing crack were the two pieces come together.But if there was a drain it wasn't working at all.And I didn't see it either.Can you provide a pitcher of it along with the exact location and next time I will not only locate it but I will clean it and get it working like it is supposed to.Thank You Captain.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 05-11-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:38 PM

The evaporator housing is black plastic and bolts to the firewall from under the hood. Under the accumulator, (big aluminum "can") the high pressure line from the condenser has a fitting that attaches to the evaporator. The drain is on the underside of the evaporator housing, directly rearward of where the evaporator line enters the evaporator housing. The only way you can get a "clear view" of the drain hole, is when the engine is removed. Ain't no way to get a camera in there without removing the engine

Old 05-12-2015, 02:26 AM

Ok Captain I see you say the drain is on the underside of the evaporator cabin back about 3/4 of a inch back from were the condenser connect,s to the evaporator but then you also said it is mounted on the cabin close to the firewall so witch one is it I have been all over under that cabin and cant say I have seen anything like that anywhere on the bottom of the evaporator cabin.The one and only place I am not sure about would be on the cabin rite up against the firewall.Because its the one and only place I haven't been able to see that well as of yet.Sunday Moms day when I was under the car while running the ac and the water was running out of the cabin that held the evaporator it was running out of the cabin were it screwed together it didn't look anything like a drain.But it sure was running quite well out of that crack.P/S I think with so many versions of the drain location maybe I should go to a wrecking yard and try to look at the same one taken out if possible.those drains are located everywhere especially on different models.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 05-12-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:17 PM

OK Captain were you say the drain is molded into the plastic near the firewall 3/8" in diameter and 1/4" down is that from the top of the cabin because I could see were you would need a mirror to see it and a plastic straw to wiggle around in it to clear it of dirt leafs pine needles and what ever else is in there. But are you sure about the location of the drain.Is it on the back side of the cabin or the bottom side.