2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

All-Time 4WD on 1996 Blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:13 PM
madbomb20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: All-Time 4WD on 1996 Blazer?

What good is the G80 locker?

Old 12-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

G80 is the GM Gov-Loc locking rear differential. Not very strong, but good enough for stock... If you break it, don't put another just like it back in... Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yeah the NP3 is a fulltime awd. It won't shift power to the axle that has more traction like an NP4 equipped vehicle will. The NP4 is an active awd transfer case. So basically you have a fulltime awd vehicle. I don't think you should ever feel it activate.

*EDIT* - If I'm reading things right, the NP3 is the NVG 149 transfer case is more heavy duty than the NP4 NVG 126 case in terms of torque holding capacity.

Here's the NVG website - New Venture Gear - Transfer Cases

Old 12-05-2006, 05:40 PM

That's why I worry about the grinding when i was sliding on the road earlier today.. something didnt feel right. Is there any way to test functionality of this or do I have to take it to a shop for the best results?

Old 12-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check proper operation of what? The brakes? The rear diff? The AWD system?

If your foot was on the brakes and you were sliding, the grinding is the normal operation of the ABS. It actually wasn't grinding, but the ABS pump cycling the brakes at a very rapid rate (rolling friction is higher than sliding friction - the entire fundamental truth behind ABS systems). From the perspective of your foot on the pedal, it may feel like a grinding. But it really is a reverse pulsation in the pedal caused by the ABS pump doing its job. Some systems are not as intrusive as others and in most you don't feel it in the pedal, but you will still hear it.

As far as the rear diff, yeah, you can check it, just jack up the rear end and try to turn one wheel with the transmission in park. It should turn a bit then get difficult. If you are able to spin it and have the tire on the other side of the truck spin in the opposite direction with relative ease, then the diff isn't working properly.

And the only way I know to test any 4wd/AWD is to find some MUD or snow! If you wanted to be more technical about it, I suppose you could put the truck up on jack stands, transmission in neutral, and turn both of the rear wheels. If the front wheels turn, then yeah, your AWD is working as normal. This wouldn't work for an NP4 equipped vehicle due to the electronics involved.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:15 PM

I understand the ABS system, but it seemed I lost power steering while this was occurring, almost felt like a stall while the brake grinding was going on... Not ideal for snow, like a 4wd vehicle is supposed to be

Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Rammer is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's the same transfer case the Bravada's use, then it's a Borg-Warner 4472. It splits the torque 65% rear to 35% front and will send more torque to front as needed.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:47 PM
x56sb is an unknown quantity at this point

usly when u slide it seems like u dont have power steering because u cant turn ha

Old 12-06-2006, 02:54 AM

funny... but no i have an iq higher than 12 thanks
It turned after i let off the brake

Old 12-06-2006, 03:47 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

1. Does anyone know of a way to install a switch and/or indicators to turn on 4WD, what I would need to modify it and what the parts would cost? (ballpark figure)
you can cable activate it instead of using the vaccum system.

2. When braking and slipping on snow/ice, I felt a clunking in my brake pedal and lost control of wheel, is this the front hubs not engaging? Was it caused by the auto-4wd feature?
Not sure if I understand the statement. Did it feel like ABS took control? Like vibrated the brake pedal? that is normal when you are on slippery surfaces when braking. Or did it "crow hop?"

Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 PM

Cable activating sounds cool, wonder how that is implemented..

I guess it was normal ABS operation, but it felt like it was straining the system way too hard, and could have possibly caused a major accident because I was only going about 10mph due to the condition of the road and it nearly pushed me off to the left of the road. I did not have control of the steering wheel at that point, control of the steering came back after i was through braking. I had the brake power booster replaced last year, and I'm wondering if they possibly put the wrong model in causing this strangeness....

My biggest beef with the AWD setup is not knowing what mode of operation it is in. I would at least like to wire an indicator light that informs me of when its in 4WD low or high... The ideal situation would be manual control of the 4WD modes, but if that is too expensive or difficult to do, how would I get at least the indicator light? I shouldn't be afraid to drive this thing on an icy road, that's what they're made for after all. ABS doesn't seem to be a good solution, but 4wd low allows more control on the icy surfaces. But I have no control when this thing decides to kick on 4wd, anyone have any good resources for how this operates?

Quick Reply: All-Time 4WD on 1996 Blazer?