2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

anchors away

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:00 PM
getblazed00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anchors away

Was traveling up to Cincinatti with my wife over the holidays From Louisville and cruising along about 70 no big deal, everything normal until i came to a slight uphill grade and the tach no kidding went up to about 7k and stayed there until I let off and pulled over and it felt like somebody threw out the anchor. No getting faster nothing. Started out again and did the same thing but this time it was sputtering and missing so i just took it easy the rest of the trip and it made it there. Stayed at brother in laws about 4 hrs and headed home and it was fine the whole way home and since. What does that sound like besides the blazer telling me i should avoid family gatherings with the inlaws?

Old 12-27-2006, 10:05 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: anchors away

What does that sound like besides the blazer telling me i should avoid family gatherings with the inlaws?
opportunity knocks once. Don't go!

Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 PM

believe me i didn't want to

Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

naha!

Well, I can only think of a torque converter quitting.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have only heard of this twice and it sound similar to your problem.

Let me ask some questions first.
Do you drive in 4lo at all?
If so, do you know what it feels like when the truck is in 4lo and your going 30mph but the engine is way up there in rpms? Similar to what you were experienceing?
I realize you weren't in 4lo, however the problem I have seen twice now is where the puter thinks the t-case is in 4lo and adjusts the tranny and engine paremeters accordingly, even though the t-case is in 2wdr. The puter thinks the t-case is in 4lo and then makes the tranny hold first gear longer, and top speed is like 30mph, you can push it past 30mph and sometimes it will go back to normal.

The problem wasa short in the t-case motor, the repair was a new t-case motor.
If this sounds at all familiar let me know and I'll see if I can find the diagnostic post for your tech guy.

your lucky your in-laws are that far away, mine are 2 miles at most.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:57 PM

nope...didn't really feel like that. had not been in 4 loor anything...felt almost like a severe engine miss but if you take it out of gear and give it hell it runs like a champ...unfortunately, can't get anywhere in N. In reality the RPM's went to about 4 or 5 k which was plenty and i went from about 70 to punching it to do 60 in about 1 mile. Had the tranny replaced at 100,000 due to a sungear failure...then had the PCM replaced due to...umm...it quitting. Keep up with regular maintainance otherwise, replaced plugs/wires about 5k ago. It's at 127,000 now and I half feel like not hitting the brakes when someone pulls in front of me or cuts me off at this point.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ever replace the fuel pump or fuel filter?
Just trying to rule out hte basic stuff and maybe help trigger an idea for you. I am at a blank at the moment.