2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Annoying noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Starting Member
Sorell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Annoying noise from front end

Hey guys. Recently I've had one hell of an annoying noise coming from my front drivers wheel it seems. Sounds like someone is blowing over the opening of a pop bottle, but not all the time, just the odd time and not for the same time frame (sometimes just a second, sometimes for upwards of 30secs)

I just replaced the FLwheel bearing todayas it had some play and I figured that'd be the only thing to make that noise... but it's still there

My shocks are one their way out, maybe this?

It is 4 wheel, which was just serviced by the dealer under 2 months ago, $1100,and I don't want to pay them any more money as just before that my fuel pump went for $1400

Someone please help

Old 03-18-2008, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Annoying noise from front end

$1400 to replace a fuel pump?!?!?!?

As for your whistling noise, it could be a poor seal with your window channel or door weather stripping, letting wind whistle in by the window, causing all sorts of wild noises. Does it ever make the noise at very low speeds?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Starting Member

Ya, they had to send out the tank to be cleaned for warranty purposed apparently and the pump was 600, then 300 for a fuel pump relay and labor... pissed me off

As for the window seal though, it isn't the greatest, but it's definately not the seal this seems to bean actual mechanical noise. It happens driving through up/down ramps and on corners mostly but the odd time while driving straight. And it's happened at all different speeds from 30k to 130kms/hr. I can feel it in the floor most times and it's starting to scare me as I really don't want a wheel falling off while I'm on the highway

It's a deep whistle noise too, more like a hooo!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:35 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

How's the grease in your CVs?

I'm just trying to think of parts that move and flex with the front end..The CV could be failing, and the little *****/traces that let the joint bend could be grinding or catching, causing the noise, and since it's the bending not the rotation that causes the noise, it's not a speed related noise!

Just thinking outloud of course, feel free to disprove me

Edit: on further thought, I don't think there would be enough movement in the cv joint to cause a continual hoooooo sound. Does it pull to either side?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Starting Member

I'll bounce back what I can I was thinking the CV's too cause it was stuck in 4wheel for a weekend... why I had the dealership service it, during that time though I tried driving it as little as possible (only one day)... I don't know how to check the grease in the CVs, only how to replace them

Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 PM
BF Veteran

Well as for grease you would see a whole lot of green goo around the joint. All over the lower control arm..etc..But I suppose if it were the CV, it could very easily fail without tearing the boot and spitting grease..I still wonder if they could actually produce a whistle type sound though..

Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Starting Member

ya, the boot is perfect, that was one of the first things I checked and inside it feels alright, maybe this weekend I'll just change it out since it's not seized on anymore if I can get one decently cheap