2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Another problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member
dacop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another problem

Looks like I have another problem...see image.

What is this and what will it cost me to get it fixed?

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/13316/4DAA5A57B81141B7BA7F70117A228317.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Another problem

Been there, done that. The cover has rusted through. Have a look in the DIY section for rear axle service.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

wow...never saw(yet) a rusted thru rear diff. cover on a 2003....I'm speechless. JP

Old 12-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, hard to believeit rusted out that bad in only 5-6 years. Only one previous owner. I should have purchased a Ford Explorer. lol I have not owned a Chevy since my 79 Camaro back in 1985.

Well I got this truck well below book value and this is justmy winter vehicle.Mymain ride is a2008 Mustang GT but its not great in the snow and I wanted it off the road.

So I guess I will have toput some repair money into the Chevy Blazerto get it running well.[/align][/align]

Old 12-26-2008, 06:25 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you just got a bad cover. You did seem at this point, to have gotten a good deal at $4500 so....with the good....This shouldn't be a bad fix but make sure that you get it done as soon as you can as very few people check(or the people who get paid to check em') the rear differential fluid level. You don't need to develop rear end noise. Jerry

Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Maybe you shouldnt live in the North? Your entire underbody is rusted...blech..

Old 12-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone know where I can order a cover online?

Thanks

*COMBINING CONSECUTIVE THREADS*
PLEASE USE THE 'EDIT' FUNCTION TO ADD TO A POST IF NOBODY HAS YET REPLIED.

How can I find out what ring gear my truck has? I have the original window sticker and it does mention "Rear Axlr 3.42 Ratio"

Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member

How can I find out what ring gear my truck has? I have the original window sticker and it does mention "Rear Axlr 3.42 Ratio"

Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What about the ring gear do you want to know? Its ratio? To be sure that it is 3.42, look at the RPO code list. I believe that RPO GU6 is the 3.42 gear ratio.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member

I need to order the diff cover but there are different sizes for the 2003. They go by the ring gear size. I do have a 3.42 that is for sure, I just dont know how to find out the ring gear size I have.

Quick Reply: Another problem