2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Antifreeze Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
2000BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road
Default Antifreeze Leak

Hi Guys

I have a 2000 LS Blazer and yesterday i noticed a small amount of antifreeze leaking from the vehilce

my Blazer runs (green) antifreeze in it and i have recently put in the 50/50 mix to top it off since it was a tad bit low

im noticing the leak along the drivers side right below the firewall area where your feet would be in the cab .. while my Blazer is at idle you can see it drip and thats all it does .... so what is on that side of the engine that my antifreeze could be leaking from?

My engine oil is still very clean and good also in case anyone asks as i have checked it to make sure im not getting any in the crankcase ... any suggestions??

Old 11-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Starting Member
darknight is on a distinguished road

sound to me like its leaking were your coolant enters your heater core, witch is located on the other side of the fire wall... you may need to replase those 2 hoses that runs from your water pump to the heater core... good luck!!!!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM

(Update)

Today i went out and crawled under the Blazer for a better look see ... this is what i observed while it was running in the driveway

antifreeze is dripping ( kinda like how the air conditioning does when its on ) but on the drivers side and it is dripping right onto the exhaust center pipe almost right in the middle but to the left just a tad bit before the drivers side exhaust manifold connection

I have no clue what is on top for antifreeze to be leaking like that and im hoping its not going to be bad news i hear from you guys on here .. lol

the engine oil is still very clean since i checked it after running the Blazer
nothing is dripping from the water pump weep hole underneath
my lines running to my heater core on the passenger side upper firewall connection are not leaking
i dont have an antifreeze smell inside of the cab when the heat is turned on full and it cranks heat

so what could be leaking?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Rear of the intake manifold gasket leaking down onto the bellhousing and running off the drivers side?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:12 PM

Mike98

yes its leaking a little bit onto the bellhousing just a few drops from what i saw ... ok so i get the feeling this is going to be bad news ...

if the intake manifold gasket is leaking how much money am i looking at for having it fixed and how long will it be before it blows out entirely on me?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I agree, lower intake manifold gaskets. The OEM gasket is an inferior design and has a very high failure rate. The main reason is due to the aluminum heads and intake expanding and contracting at different rates as the engine heats up and cools down. The seals used on the gaskets can't maintain a good seal, and they leak. Felpro has a new design of gasket and if it's installed & torqued properly, it will not leak. Felpro part number MS98002T.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Ok Guys

so today i pulled the camera out and took some pics for you to see

1) while the engine is running i dont have any flow within the radiator as the fluid just sits there

2) as you can see there is antifreeze on that bushing in the pic

3) my oil is still clean and i have plenty of heat

could the water pump be leaking on me since there isnt any flow inside of the radiator?

Attached Thumbnails Antifreeze Leak-100_0741.jpg   Antifreeze Leak-100_0740.jpg   Antifreeze Leak-100_0744.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

1. You won't have flow in the radiator untill the thermostat is open

2. Just because your oil is clean doesn't mean the LIM isn't bad (mine was leaking for years before i got the blazer and it never leaked into the oil)

3. Having heat is good, but it doesn't point to anything other than you have heat. Unless your coolant gets so low that the heater core fills with air, you'll still have heat.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM

Mike

ive let it get to operating temp - 30 mins sitting in driveway and nothing the radiator fluid doesnt come back out and you dont see any flow inside the radiator where the little openings are ( i had a 1996 Camaro and when you took the cap off after letting it warm up you could see the flow in the radiator while it was running )

the radiator fluid just doesnt do anything other than sit there ... odd to me

i know its leaking as i dont know what that bushing part is under the Blazer in the pic since you can see antifreeze on it

gonna try to take pics of the water pump weep hole to see if its leaking there

Old 11-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The bushing is where the front differential bolts to the frame. Directly above it is the AC compressor, you might have to unbolt it to spot the intake leak... very common place to leak and almost impossible to spot without moving the compressor.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze Leak