2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 PM
v8vette84 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone know?

Hello everyone I am new to this site (but not to the automotive world) and looking for some help as this is my first Blazer. I just got a 1999 Blazer 4x4 with 134k. For some reason when driving the Blazer the fuel gauge and temp gauge do not read and the security light stays on and the ABS light comes on for a little bit and the battery light stays on. I drove the Blazer for 2 hours today and the gauges were off for 75% of my trip then they cam back on. (Security and battery lights stayed on) Has no problem starting and runs good. Any ideas why this happens? I got the Blazer for a steal from my fiance's parents who bought it new so I'm willing to deal with some issues.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:56 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I don't have any personal experience with this issue, but my first guess would be possibly a grounding issue? That's where I'd start trying to trouble shoot.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:25 AM
spittybays

Go to the forum homepage and in the google box type "cluster problems" see what comes up. Never dealt with that specific one myself, luck

Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Beginning Member
schrack is on a distinguished road

I would say the problem is with the cluster. Find one at your local salvage yard, & swap it to see if problem goes away. My gf blazer coolant guage would never go up no matter how long you drove it, also gas guage would bounce, esp if turn signals were on. Swapped cluster problems went away. Good Luck

Old 04-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

When it's acting up, smack the dash directly above the cluster. If the light situation changes at all, or blinks, etc, remove and disassemble the cluster. Re-flow the solder joints on the printed circuit board, right where the connector is soldered to the board, (24 pins). Use a low wattage soldering pencil and 60/40 lead/tin rosin core solder only. I've seen this same problem a few times, once on my own Blazer!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:38 PM

I was told about this potential problem. I will find out! Thanks for the input!

Old 05-07-2014, 02:13 PM

So smacking the dash did not work. I did not realize this dash was so brittle. I snapped off a big chunk of plastic off the top of the dash bezel. (Anyone got one in good shape) haha Anyways I'm having a new issue also. If the security light is on should the truck start? It will start and stay running for as long as I want it to but the security light doesn't go off. Any idea? It's hard to start sometimes and won't start and only crank sometimes. I'm going to test the fuel pressure later today. It's acting like the pump is on it's way out. It's also sputtering right off idle if I hit the gas but if I throttle up slowly it revs up no problem. I assume a fuel issue. What do you guys think? I feel like I'm having all the typical Blazer problems right now. haha

Old 07-26-2014, 08:28 PM

Ok so the security issue still persists. I did the ignition key bypass with the resister. It works fine but after I got done the truck still had the blinking security light, then after a few starts the security light went out and the fuel/temp gauge came back. I shut off the truck came back a few minutes later and the security light was staying on and the fuel/coolant gauges were dead again. Mind you the Blazer starts up fine and runs fine. When I disconnected the ignition switch while wiring the resister the truck would start and then die (Like a typical passlock problem) So that's my problem now.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 PM

I'm going to pull the cluster tomorrow to check connections.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 AM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Mileage is stored on the cluster, mine gained 80k on the cluster swap!

Quick Reply: Anyone know?