2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Arachnophobia

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Default Arachnophobia

Reading this forum has given me a fear of spiders. The injector type to be specific.

I've had a lot of FI cars over the last twenty years and put about 350,000 on them in total and the singular injector problem I had was one that was leaky when I got it. All those cars went high-miles. 1 to 300K, 2 over 200K

But they were all Fords.
Even before I took possession of my Bravada I had to wait on it to be fixed. I asked why, the dealer said 'mechanic says something about a bad injector.'

I'd already done some research and knew they were somewhat of a problem.
And then, one morning right after we got it I started it up and it was missfiring on one cylinder. That happened just once, though. Never since

So during the last week with all the talk of spider problems, I started to worry.

But then I read this

The Dirty Dozen Injectors

Well, now I'm not going to worry quite so much. Because it's my opinion that most injector fails are a result of sub-par gasolines. I've wrenched enough to learn about brands that claim to clean intakes and intake valves. My brand doesnt claim any such thing and I've looked down several of my engines intake ports and there was very little there.

So now I'm not much concerned about even those injectors. I use a good gas and I bet most Ohio blazer owners dont have much trouble with them either.
I just think it's a dumb design. Cause now I have to think about tubing rub.

But whatever.. as long as I only have to do it ONCE!

BTW: The Linder site has some interesting links and links to links
Like this one on 80's GM ECM's

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-02-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice if top tier rated fuel was more widely available, but with proper preventative maintenance, the poppet nozzles can last the life of the vehicle. A bottle of Chevron Fuel System Treatment Plus every oil change will help to extend the life of the injectors & poppet nozzles for those with the CPI or original SCFI spiders.

I have yet to see a properly routed tube rub through in all of them that I have worked on and in all my years here. I wouldn't worry too much about that.