2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Backing plate help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Tyler88 is on a distinguished road
Default Backing plate help

I’m really hoping someone can help me with this question. I have a question regarding the backing plate on my 2001 blazer with rear disc. The bolts are broke off for the caliper bracket and I can not locate any used ones and they do not make them anymore. There is an abundance of 4x4 parts out there and I was wondering if I can use one off of a 4x4 in place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-20-2019, 09:52 PM
Beginning Member
James1965 is on a distinguished road

you need the part that holds the backing plate? held on with 4 bolts? or are you looking for the caliper bracket itself? I have them both off a 1998 Blazer. not sure where you are but if you can't find them locally i'd sell them dirt cheap plus shipping. i'm in NW Pennsylvania.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:47 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I'm willing to bet it's the caliper bracket, and it's where the slider bolts thread into... I've broken two of them on my 04 4x4, both sides, and have had to replace the bracket... They're extremely prone to getting moisture in pass the rubber boot that's on them and rusting in solid and breaking off in the process of removal...

Any bracket off a 4x4 will work, ZR2 or non, but they're NOT the same as a 2wd. The rotor and all is different. Just needs to come off a 4x4.

Been into my rear brakes a few times, and every time I go to put a wrench on those bolts to pull the caliper off I grit my teeth in anxiety just a little bit because of it...

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 11-21-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:43 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

For such applications I use a light skim coat of anti seize as in copper coat or equiv, it seems to keep the water out along with lubing, anti seize and rust proofing.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:40 AM
Beginning Member
James1965 is on a distinguished road

Well I just completely replaced the rear end in my 04 Blazer with a G80 Posi out of a 1998 so I have extra parts available but the OP hasn't responded so I'm guessing they got it fixed.
Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I'm willing to bet it's the caliper bracket, and it's where the slider bolts thread into... I've broken two of them on my 04 4x4, both sides, and have had to replace the bracket... They're extremely prone to getting moisture in pass the rubber boot that's on them and rusting in solid and breaking off in the process of removal...

Any bracket off a 4x4 will work, ZR2 or non, but they're NOT the same as a 2wd. The rotor and all is different. Just needs to come off a 4x4.

Been into my rear brakes a few times, and every time I go to put a wrench on those bolts to pull the caliper off I grit my teeth in anxiety just a little bit because of it...

Old 11-22-2019, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by odat
For such applications I use a light skim coat of anti seize as in copper coat or equiv, it seems to keep the water out along with lubing, anti seize and rust proofing.
Well where it seizes up is where the slider is suppose to be lubed up so the caliper and float side to side. The little rubber boot that's on it is suppose to keep moisture and dirt out and keep the lube in. But as soon as the boot gets a little tare in it, it seems like moisture gets in and washes all of the lube out, then the sliders rust in place...

From my experience, the first sign that the rear slider pins have seized up is a creaking sound coming from the rear brakes as you press hard on the brake pedal. The instead of being able to slide and adjust it's position on the fly like it's suppose to when the sliders move freely, the caliper will tweak to an angle and making a creaking sound as it torques and binds against the mounting bracket and rotor...

Old 11-22-2019, 11:08 AM

Well prob also the fact your in Florida and i"m in dry a&&ed Wyoming - I would imagine it would have a lot to do with diffrent rust conditions .....

Old 11-22-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by odat
Well prob also the fact your in Florida and i"m in dry a&&ed Wyoming - I would imagine it would have a lot to do with diffrent rust conditions .....
My Blazer is originally from Tennessee. The undercarriage shows it from time to time lol

Old 11-22-2019, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
My Blazer is originally from Tennessee. The undercarriage shows it from time to time lol
My 1983 chevy pickup has lived here and family owned since new and now has two hundred and twenty tho on her clock { not bad for a 6.2 } She has lived outside all her life and this year is finally starting to show a little of the typical rocker and bottom corner of the door rust. without irrigation this area would be cati, sagebrush and dust ....